Sulevismom

Celiac Weight Gain And Thyroid

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I've been gluten free now for almost 3 months (except for the unfortunate accidents), after having received inconclusive biopsy results and negative blood work. In September last year, I dropped about ten pounds very quickly, and then started having more noticable bloating, cramps, anxiety, depression, etc, (the typical celiac symptoms). What seems strange to me is that as my symptoms got worse, I gained more and more weight, and I've had to work hard to keep it down to a comfortable level (whereas other celiacs seem to have the opposite problem). I'm also breast-feeding a one and a half year old, which you would think would make it fairly easy to stay slim. I've just been reading about hypo-thyroidism and wondering if I might have it, and if there might be a connection between a nutrient deficiency due to celiac disease. What do you all think?

I was diagnosed as having Hashimotos Thyroiditis (Autoimmune Hypothyroidism) and shortly thereafter was diagnosed as having Celiac Disease. Apparently, they run in clusters and are very common in one another.

Hi all,

I've been gluten free now for almost 3 months (except for the unfortunate accidents), after having received inconclusive biopsy results and negative blood work. In September last year, I dropped about ten pounds very quickly, and then started having more noticable bloating, cramps, anxiety, depression, etc, (the typical celiac symptoms). What seems strange to me is that as my symptoms got worse, I gained more and more weight, and I've had to work hard to keep it down to a comfortable level (whereas other celiacs seem to have the opposite problem). I'm also breast-feeding a one and a half year old, which you would think would make it fairly easy to stay slim. I've just been reading about hypo-thyroidism and wondering if I might have it, and if there might be a connection between a nutrient deficiency due to celiac disease. What do you all think?

Sulevismom, your story could be mine, except for the breastfeeding part my youngest is 7 ;) , last year dropped 25 lbs in short order (intentionally) but the neuropathy had started to show in February, tingling fingers, numb toes etc. D, anxiety, cramping, bloating and major abdominal pain showed up with their partner sudden, rapid weight gain in August. it has been so frustrating!!! I went to Hawaii ate and drank without too much care and did not gain an ounce!!

and then 2 weeks after returning as the celiac symptoms ramped up the weight gain began and always in 10-12 lb spurts over 3 days. By Mid October I was up 20lbs, and had lost 1 lb of muscle (conveniently had had 2 dexa scans, 1st in February, 2nd in October) despite increased exercise.

I've since put on another 15 lbs, my hair is thinning dramatically as well as falling out; after a bath my skin sheds like a snake, C has returned (despite taking myself of dairy), if I don't take an over the counter thyroid supplement I have very dry throat (to the point where it's difficult to speak) & have to get up in the middle of the night to take a hot bath just to warm up. I've dropped my calories to the 1000/day mark and reduced any grain exposure to 1-2 times per week just to maintain slow the weight gain. :blink:

my GP is finally sending me to an endocrinologist to see what's happening as all the conventional tests show I'm fine (low tsh etc) *sigh* I just hope s/he is able to figure something out.

Thanks for your responses!

Jessica: Did you also experience weight gain as a result of thyroid issues?

Maile: Good thing your doctor is finally listening to you. Good luck!

Thanks for your responses!

Jessica: Did you also experience weight gain as a result of thyroid issues?

Maile: Good thing your doctor is finally listening to you. Good luck!

Yes I did experience weight gain, my weight evened out but losing it has been nearly impossible <_<

Yes I did experience weight gain, my weight evened out but losing it has been nearly impossible <_<

I had my thyroid tested, for hypo and hyper, but the results showed that I am completely normal. Maybe I just eat too much chocolate! ;)