elle's mom

Stuttering And Gluten

Rate this topic

My 2 3/4 year old son, who is not diagnosed celiac, has been gluten free for 6-7 months since we made our home gluten free. Even when we go out I keep all the kids gluten free. Well, over the holidays my husband decided that we should not restrict the non-celiac kids and my son ate a whole bunch of gluten while at relatives. He suddenly started stuttering really badly and I'm wondering if it's not related to the gluten. My question to any of you who may have experienced stuttering when glutened is how long before it goes away? Days, weeks, months??? It's been about six days since the stuttering started, 5 days since he's had gluten, I've seen maybe very mild improvement only. Thanks.

I am old...and I stutter when I ingest gluten so I think its a possibility...

I would not be surprised especially since this appeared so suddenly and at the same time as a good gluten dose. I had a great deal of trouble with speaking for a long time. A lot of uh-uh-uh while my brain was trying to get my mouth to connect with it and find the right word. I still have trouble at times but am much better.

I do stutter when glutened. Its really uncomfortable for me to here it and just be stuck on a word.

My son is now 6 and when he becomes gluttened he also begins to studder. It can get really bad and sometimes he stops talking completely. It usually last about 2-3 mo for my son. We just tell him to slow down think about what he want to say and then say it because it is a processing thing. They call it brain fog and it takes him a while to get his thought collected. We used to have people who whould say just say it or don't raise your hand. I had to explain to them what he was doing and he has gotten along fine since. That was in preschool and the teacher said well I don't think he has anything to say because he doesn't always say something once I explained the teacher said wow he is very bright. Today he is in the first grade and he is reading at a 3rd grade level and doing 3 grade math. Good luck if it happens just tell him to slow down and collect his thought before he talks. I know you said he is almost 3 and this is a perfect time to start teaching him this. Good luck

I always just figured the whole getting caught on words and stuttering thing was related to the rest of my problems. never thought it could be the gluten...its interesting to think that in a few months it might not happen anymore!