This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

48 Hour Sleep Cycle

jackay

jackay Enthusiast

It is really strange but I can only get a significant amount of sleep every other night. One night I am awake the whole night or else fall asleep for a short time before I normally get up. The next night, I fall asleep right away and sleep until morning.

At first I thought getting glutened was causing the insomnia, but I don't see how that would be happening every other day. I haven't been able to associate it with other food intolerances as I eat pretty much the same thing every day.

Since I have gotten careful with cross contamination, my anxiety and depression have lifted. I figured I'd sleep if I was no longer anxious or depressed, but it isn't working that way.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

It is really strange but I can only get a significant amount of sleep every other night.

Well you are just strange then aren't cha? :D Kidding. I have recently stopped using mayo, due to the soy in it. And I am now able to sleep sort of like a nurmal person. I slept for about 7 hours for 2 nights in a row and then got 3 hours last night. Altogether I consider that a great improvement. I don't know if it will keep up like that yet, but I can live with that anyway. Anyhow, yes I at least have had plenty of unusual sleep patterns over the years. Mostly insomnia for me, paired with exhaustion. I guess I am strange too!

jackay Enthusiast

GFinDC,

I hope your sleep continues to improve while I continue to be strange. Last night was my no sleeper so I'm hoping for some zzz's tonight. I figured I sleep every other night because my body is starved for the sleep after missing a night.

I gave up soy, eggs and dairy about six months ago. I've tried dairy a few times recently and that hasn't seemed to make a difference with my sleep.

Some of the insomnia could possible be caused from the large dose of calcium I take. I take 2500 mg. calcium citrate daily. I was not absorbing calcium from foods so ran into parathyroid issues. I am hoping that with my blood work in two weeks that my calcium level is up and I can cut down on supplementing. I'm so tempted to try a few days without the calcium supplements, but am going to stick with this dose until after the blood draw is done. I don't even think I'll wait for the test results before I take a few days off calcium to see if there is sleep improvement. My doctor is very slow in getting the test results to me.

Archived