This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any 1 Know About Adrenal Function And Acth Stim Test

Christina98

Christina98 Explorer

I was wondering if anyone knows about this stuff.

I had a test done (a saliva test) to check the adrenals and was told I have adrenal insufficiency.

This was through a naturopathic Dr. My primary care Dr office (well endocrinologist) wants me to do a test for the adrenals called acth stim test. This is something where Synthetic cortisol is injected and they measure something with the response of the adrenals.

This is too see how bad off the adrenals are she said. The only thing is that I hear that they are only checking for the worse case scenario like (addisons)

They do not recognize any other result.

Anyone had this and can explain. Also is IT SAFE?

The Dr says yes but I really dont trust too much of what they say anymore.

Was just curious what the test will say and its covered by Insurance but I am scared if its going to put me in a kinda "fight ot flight mode" kinda like when you are experiencing something for real that raises cortisol your heart pounds and you feel scared. Panicky.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

I have had a Stim Test and it was a breeze. It was the best I had felt in ages :)

They take a blood test to check baseline numbers. Is ACTH , aldosterone and renin being tested ? Then they inject ACTH and wait 30 mins and take another blood test, and then another 30 mins later. If you have adrenal failure ie Primary Addisons - your levels don't rise in response to the ACTH injection.

Open Original Shared Link

If you have Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency ( caused by a damaged Pituitary) then this is not the best test. You need an Insulin Stress Test where Insulin is injected in and cortisol and Growth Hormone are measured. Its not often done as its a fairly dangerous test.

Are you on cortisone at the moment ? You need to be off it at least 2 weeks before the test. If you can't manage that - switch to Dexamethasone for 2 weeks.

Good luck!

Christina98 Explorer

I have had a Stim Test and it was a breeze. It was the best I had felt in ages :)

They take a blood test to check baseline numbers. Is ACTH , aldosterone and renin being tested ? Then they inject ACTH and wait 30 mins and take another blood test, and then another 30 mins later. If you have adrenal failure ie Primary Addisons - your levels don't rise in response to the ACTH injection.

If you have Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency ( caused by a damaged Pituitary) then this is not the best test. You need an Insulin Stress Test where Insulin is injected in and cortisol and Growth Hormone are measured. Its not often done as its a fairly dangerous test.

Are you on cortisone at the moment ? You need to be off it at least 2 weeks before the test. If you can't manage that - switch to Dexamethasone for 2 weeks.

Good luck!

So when u had this test done was that when you found you have an adrenal issue?

I dont know what else she would be testing (alsterone or not) she said acth test to check how my adrenals function.

She did mention the other test (insulin one) and she did say it is dangerous.

I am scared of this one too though because there injecting something to make my adrenals work (or respond) I dont do well with bodily things that are induced I get scared and anxiety.What exactly did u feel when u had it done? are your adrenals ok now? did they find addisons or any other adrenal stuff?

Oh and no I am not on cortisone or anything just ambien for sleep (wich I HATE)

georgie Enthusiast

No - the Stim Test did not show my adrenal problem. I needed the ITT but it was too dangerous for me to have it. Based on my other hormone deficiencies and how they looked - the dx of Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency was made. Some places call it Secondary Addisons. There is no cure. I am on cortisone for life. I also take Florinef to help the sodium balance and blood pressure. I used to sleep very badly before but now I have cortisone I sleep like a log again. I used to wake at 4am with shakes and headaches - which is when the circadian cortisol day starts. I don't now. I am almost back to normal but have had to learn about cortisone a lot. Endos are usually clueless re adrenals. It is good that yours has mentioned the ITT as you may need to have that done as well. Do you think you have Primary Addisons ? ( tanned skin, salt cravings , weight loss) or Secondary ( multiple hormone failures, history of head injury/tumour ). Make sure you get fasting serum ACTH tested before the test starts. And that the Stim Test is done in the morning - pref about 8am.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I always ask the doctor how the second test will change the treatment I am going to be given. If there is no change in treatment I decline the test unless it's to check for something else.

Christina98 Explorer

I always ask the doctor how the second test will change the treatment I am going to be given. If there is no change in treatment I decline the test unless it's to check for something else.

thanks

Archived