MollyBeth

Protien Shakes?

Rate this topic

So, I recently started working out with a trainer... and he wants me to start drinking protien shakes. I obviously need to find one that is gluten free if I go for it... I've seen plenty of threads on this topic. I guess I just don't know why I would need them? On my last blood test my iron and protien levels are on the rise. Could someone more in tune with the working out and supplement culture please enlighten me?

Protein helps repair & build muscle :)

Solid food takes more time to digest and to break down the protein and send it to the muscles. Because protein shakes only take about 30 minutes to reach the muscle after ingestion, it can be most effective to drink a protein shake immediately following a workout.

Some prefer just drinking chocolate milk.

Good luck!

So, I recently started working out with a trainer... and he wants me to start drinking protien shakes. I obviously need to find one that is gluten free if I go for it... I've seen plenty of threads on this topic. I guess I just don't know why I would need them? On my last blood test my iron and protien levels are on the rise. Could someone more in tune with the working out and supplement culture please enlighten me?

Jillian is spot on. Chocolate milk works as well if you can keep it cold, protein powder is convenient and temperature stable. Weight training athletes need higher protein intake for support of current and synthesis of new lean tissue.