This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Good Recipe Books?

Soph&PetersMom

Soph&PetersMom Newbie

My child was diagnosed in December (two days b4 my son was born, what a hectic time). She is thriving on the gluten-free diet, but is very picky like any two year old (thank GOD she loves fruit and veggies but meat/chicken is just not a fav yet). Are there any recipe books or a web site anyone can recommend for her? I have done well, but feel like I make the same things over and over, and most things take lots of time (which i don't always have with a newborn). I am at home with both kiddo's and new recipes that I can try (as well of get ideas from)and even some easy and fast recipes would be welcome! Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

irish daveyboy Community Regular

My child was diagnosed in December (two days b4 my son was born, what a hectic time). She is thriving on the gluten-free diet, but is very picky like any two year old (thank GOD she loves fruit and veggies but meat/chicken is just not a fav yet). Are there any recipe books or a web site anyone can recommend for her? I have done well, but feel like I make the same things over and over, and most things take lots of time (which i don't always have with a newborn). I am at home with both kiddo's and new recipes that I can try (as well of get ideas from)and even some easy and fast recipes would be welcome! Thanks!!

I'm sure there are lots of dedicated cookbooks for children, here's one from the UK.

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

• 2 weeks later...
T.H. Community Regular

I haven't found any gluten-free cookbooks that the kids are really all that thrilled with yet, I'll be honest, but there was a threat on lunches for kids here at celiac.com ( ) that seemed to have some nice ideas for kid foods. They also had a link or two to food sites that had good ideas, so that might be of some use as well. :)

coffeetime Explorer

I just picked up at my local Books-A-Million a copy of Allergy-Free Cookbook, Gluten,Dairy,Egg, Nut,I couldn't find an author but the publisher is Publications International, Ltd. It was on the clearance rack for $9, it is by far the best Cookbook I have bought with gluten-free recipes. The recipes are simple and although it is only 138 pages, at least 2/3 of the recipes are those I would actually make, as opposed to some cookbooks I've bought, where I might only find 3-4 recipes I would want to make more than one. The cookies are amazing, my 3 teenagers had no idea they were gluten-free and the flours are simple gluten-free flour blends, so you don't need to keep 4-5 different flours on hand.

Rondar2001 Apprentice

My latest favourite cookbook is Deceptively Delicious. Although not a gluten free book, I have found most receipes work with substituting an all purpose gluten free flour mix. It works with purees and packs everything with lots of nutrition. My daughter loves the brownies, although I haven't told her they have spinich and carrot in them.

seezee Explorer

I bought a couple of cookbooks and really haven't liked them too much. A lot of the food seems to come out dry.

I have much better luck using a regular cookbook with recipes I like (except for yeast breads) and adapting the recipe using a gluten-free flour substitute or if the flour is just for thickening substitute corn starch, gluten-free bread crumbs for frying, etc. There are some 1-1 ones that are pretty good. Try to use one with a bit of fiber for savory foods and not one that's just rice flour and tapioca - (although that's probably best for cookies and cakes). It may take a couple of tries to find one you like or get the recipe just right. Cornbread is super simple to make - just swap out the wheat flour in the recipe. Also, a really nice mixer and a bread machine will make things much easier.

Archived