This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To Start A Low/no Fodmap Diet

BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hi all. I'm about to start a low/no FODMAP diet tomorrow. (I wanted to eat up the Brussels sprouts and zucchini I had just bought first.) I am thinking of doing ZERO high fodmaps for a couple weeks, then adding each family in one at a time. Is that reasonable? I don't have the books and my library does not have them either, but I do have a list of foods that should be limited and those that are allowed.

I already don't do gluten (obviously), soy, sugar, garlic (bloats me), dried fruit (stinks me right up), dairy...and I eat very little grains. Rice makes my teeth hurt (demineralization?). Corn actually works okay for me as a grain, so I might go with that if potatoes start to make me crazy.

Symptoms are not severe, just bloating and gas. Those were always my main problems, along with C, and the bloat has only ever gone away on the body ecology diet (which is very hard to maintain) ... so I think the low sugars might be key.

Anyway, any advice would be welcomed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

I started FODMAP 2 months ago and love it. I was tested to be lactose intolerant and fructose intolerant. I was having a severe onion reaction when I saw the Dr so fructans was also dxed. I know I react to sorbitols.

Please check Sue's info re to dairy. Lactose free is re to FODMAP and this means that you can eat hard cheese, butter and cream and also may be able to tolerate small amounts of milk. A lot of people get this wrong and being able to eat cheese etc is an important thing. Dairy free may not be necessary unless you have a casein intolerance ( which is not FODMAP)

And take note of how small amounts of the intolerance may be suitable. Sue actually advises NOT to totally eliminate all intolerances but to simply learn better ways to manage them. Fructose for eg ( an apple) may be OK if combined with glucose as then the glucose molecule helps break down the fructose molecule in the gut. So apple pie may be OK ( with cream ! ) but an apple on its own may not be.

Everyone has different mileage. And in time there is some healing so the goal posts may move.

This is Sue Shepherd's page. Open Original Shared Link

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Thanks so much. I don't do dairy now as even the smallest bit of it makes me have constipation for days. Also, I'm mostly vegan so it fits well with my other dietary philosophy. And lastly, I don't even miss cheese that much. Thanks for letting me know that though - I know lots of folks struggle with the dairy thing and wish like crazy they could eat it. Once I stabilize, I'll take note of which dairy I can eat on low FODMAP and try it out if the situation seems right.

I'll check out that website. Thanks.

-Sherri

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Well, started out nicely. Quit all the high fodmap foods and the bloating and passing of gas did diminish greatly. Then one day I decided that salsa didn't have anything I couldn't eat (I'm having a bad case of anemia right now and its affecting my brain capacity) so I ate some. About 20 chips into it I'm like, "wait, that's onion". Next day, bloat city. Anyway, I'm still going to try to add back onion separately in a couple weeks.

On the anemia note, ate some steak today - first time in two years. At first it felt like a rock in my stomach, but I feel okay now. I need to find my digestive enzymes ... they're around here somewhere.

Anyway.....

I'll post if anything interesting happens.

Archived