Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glutenfreeinminnesota

Anxiety...anyone Else?

Sorry this is long...but I have Celiacs...I have heard it can cause anxiety, but eventually goes away after being on a gluten-free diet? I have had a stupid fear of throwing up in public for at least ten years...I actually never have thrown up in public...I am not afraid to throw up...just worried about doing it in public, when bathrooms or exits aren't close by, so much that I make myself sick in public just thinking about it! My heart starts racing and I start to sweat...then I get queezy. The stupid thing is I never have even done it in public! I know it's all in my mind, and I have had really good moments where I force myself to go into public and just deal with it, and I have always gotten through it. We have Viking season tix (bathroom lines are SOOOOO long!)...but I had to request aisle tix. I love flying and going places, but hate taking off and landing because I can't get out of my seat. Anyways...I used to worry about D in public, and not being close to a bathroom, but now I hardly have D since I know what's wrong :D so that's not an issue anymore...but now the fear of throwing up in public seems to remain. Would anti-anxiety pills help this? Or will anxiety about this eventually go away maybe, as my intestine continue to heal? I can handle it sometimes...but also avoid situations where I know I will be stuck sitting in a place with lots of people..and no bathrooms nearby. I don't have great health insurance, so can't afford a psych of any kind...anyways...any thoughts!!?? Anyone else out there even have this problem?? Thanks!!

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease November 2009

2011:

Anemia is gone for the first time in my life, Yay!

Teeth are cleaner according to my dentist (interesting, eh???)

Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Now that I think about it, I did have crazy anxiety when I was on gluten. I would lie awake at night and think up scary situations that my family and I "might" get into one day, and what would I do about it. Or I would listen for every little sound in the house and think a burglar was trying to break in. Or I would over-analyze something my daughter said and blow it out of proportion and worry. Oh yeah, gluten can do 'wonders' to a person. I have been gluten free for 5 months and don't do that anymore. I also have calmed down about my claustrophobia although I don't think I'll go spelunking anytime soon!

How long have you been gluten-free? I would think it should ease up soon. I mean, so many people have brain fog with gluten, so why not heightened anxiety? It makes sense.

I have been thinking about putting my dog on a gluten free diet to see if I can ween him off his puppy-Prozac. He is highly anxious without and and impossible to live with. And gluten free dog food has to be cheaper than his pills! ;)

Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"

Uhhh.....yeah!

DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!

DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.

Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)

Anxiety is very natural, especially in public places. Be diligent with your diet and you symptoms should subside. But, it's common that neurological symptoms recover lastly.

Take a vitamin supplement. I take Healthy Accents Prenatal Vitamins (my baby years are long done, but I like what they offer).

And don't forget that a "normal" life can be had. And it might be just around the corner. Be careful what you eat, trust in yourself, live by your "gut" (literally).

Be patient with yourself and pamper yourself once in a while. There is a very healthy, productive, fun life out there - even with Celiac Disease.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I have been on the diet for almost 11 months...I am hoping it goes away! I know it's stupid..and I constantly tell myself that but sometimes my mind just gets away from me...Thanks for the replies!! I will just keep telling myself I won't puke in public :) and since I never have...probably never will!! I will look into the prenatal vits too..thanks!!

2011:

Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

Now that I think about it, I did have crazy anxiety when I was on gluten. I would lie awake at night and think up scary situations that my family and I "might" get into one day, and what would I do about it. Or I would listen for every little sound in the house and think a burglar was trying to break in. Or I would over-analyze something my daughter said and blow it out of proportion and worry. Oh yeah, gluten can do 'wonders' to a person. I have been gluten free for 5 months and don't do that anymore. I also have calmed down about my claustrophobia although I don't think I'll go spelunking anytime soon!

How long have you been gluten-free? I would think it should ease up soon. I mean, so many people have brain fog with gluten, so why not heightened anxiety? It makes sense.

I have been thinking about putting my dog on a gluten free diet to see if I can ween him off his puppy-Prozac. He is highly anxious without and and impossible to live with. And gluten free dog food has to be cheaper than his pills! ;)

My dog eats "Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diet"...it's gluten free and I didn't even know it, until I researched it after getting diagnosed. It's about $40 a bag for the biggest bag, thought I would share!! Their website is not working...but if you just google "Natural Balance Dog Food" something should come up about it :)

2011:

I have/had anxiety with my celiac. Research indicates that it is a known symptom. I would imagine that being unwell makes someone anxious and there is supposed to be some direct pathology on the neuro systems. Be positive, at least you have identified a culpprit for the way you feel, it takes time to address and you must always be vigilant. Your systems will normalise in time (I am gluten-free for 2 years and anxiety has dropped in most situations), do not be comlpacent with diet or the possibility that you react to other foods. Exercise has helped me as wel as meditation to improve my general mood but the biggest boost is knowing that I am dealing with and being able to address it. Good luck with it, you are on the way up.

Fish oil and b complex have helped me along with eating gluten free. I was on anti depressants on and off for many years and was able to taper off 3 mo. ago. I have always had terrible anxiety since high school, sweating, upset stomach and just a fear of the unknown. I don't have that anymore.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

I had sudden and disabling anxiety for about a year and some before my GI symptoms started. It was bad enough that my doctor put me on an anti-depressant. As soon as I was gluten free for 3 months, I went off of the anti-depressant, and the anxiety has not resurfaced. The connection is very clear to me.

I had sudden and disabling anxiety for about a year and some before my GI symptoms started. It was bad enough that my doctor put me on an anti-depressant. As soon as I was gluten free for 3 months, I went off of the anti-depressant, and the anxiety has not resurfaced. The connection is very clear to me.

I understand and felt the same. I think due to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. With the lack of B-12, I had difficulty walking. Sentences began, but never completed. Forgetting where I was driving also a grave concern. And I would have cold sweats while walking on a dock or driving over bridges.

I still hate bridges, but everything has returned to normal.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien