This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ore Ida Tator Tots

Guest Lucy

grantschoep Contributor
Is it Dextrose or Dextrin that we need to watch for?  I thought anything that rhymed with gross was sugar.  Maybe I am confused????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dextrose is fine. Yep, is just another name for glucose, which is sugar.

Open Original Shared Link

Dextrin, not sure about that. Definition...

See the gluten-free safe and forbidden lists.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

• 2 years later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

misdiagnosed6yrs Apprentice

Ugh. I went to cook tater tots and noticed they have WHEAT listed on them. How did this happen? I thought I checked the label in the store. Last time I looked them up, the website and the employees said they do not contain gluten. They will clearly mark it on the label if they change and all of sudden do use it.

Well that day certainly has come.

The bag of tater tots was open cause last week I made some. That means, I ate the wheat. So why am I not sick? Last time I was sick, it lasted almost 3 weeks and that (I think) was due to CC.

All the more reason to think this disease hates me.

I can't figure all of this out. How long was it before everyone had a good idea of what they were up against? :(

missy'smom Collaborator

Ore-Ida has a list of their products that are gluten-free on their website. It is a couple of years old(2006) last time I checked so a few months ago I contacted the company and asked if there was an updated list and one of the products that wasn't on the list. They said stick with the list and didn't give explanation as to why. Whole Foods 365 version of tater tots are gluten-free.

larry mac Enthusiast
I've seen some Delimex taquitos that list wheat as an actual ingredient, not even hidden, others seem to be fine. Any explaination? Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, of course I noticed this, having read the ingredients labels very carefully. Why would they hide it, it's just an ingredient. The taquitos that have cheese in them seem to contain the wheat. Beef and cheese, and chicken and cheese. I can only speculate that is to prevent the cheese from oozing out during the cooking process. Very unfortunate for us, but typically inconsiderate of them.

best regards, lm

• 10 months later...
hadabaday2day Explorer
Dextrose is fine. Yep, is just another name for glucose, which is sugar.

Dextrin, not sure about that. Definition...

See the gluten-free safe and forbidden lists.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

This is a bit late, but I just found out that Ore Ida had been incorrectly labeling thier tater tots. I don't know when it started but they listed wheat even though it wasn't an ingredient. They removed it as an ingredient and then forgot to change the label. Some of the same bags also said gluten free which is hilarious. Both were mis-prints though. The wheat was a misprint because it no longer contained wheat. The gluten free was a misprint because they are still manufactured in a facility that uses wheat and therefore could not claim gluten free. They still have bags in circulation that say wheat even though there is actually no wheat. I don't know when this all started so maybe that is why you didn't get sick. I can't remember the source of this info but I'm sure if you Googled it you could find it.

Alia

hadabaday2day Explorer
Ugh. I went to cook tater tots and noticed they have WHEAT listed on them. How did this happen? I thought I checked the label in the store. Last time I looked them up, the website and the employees said they do not contain gluten. They will clearly mark it on the label if they change and all of sudden do use it.

Well that day certainly has come.

The bag of tater tots was open cause last week I made some. That means, I ate the wheat. So why am I not sick? Last time I was sick, it lasted almost 3 weeks and that (I think) was due to CC.

All the more reason to think this disease hates me.

I can't figure all of this out. How long was it before everyone had a good idea of what they were up against? :(

OOPS. This is the post I meant to reply to.

Alia

Archived