This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could My Job Make Me Sick?

MissBonnie

MissBonnie Apprentice

i work in a resataurant where i cook, clean, serve, and prepare food. it is a seafood restauant so we use alot of crumbing and floured fish. can this make me sick if im working with it? or is it just if i ingest it? like can i get my hands dirty and not worry? im a little apprehensive to go back to this job once ive recovered from being in hospital due to my celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Your apprehension is well-founded. Anytime you are working with flour there are airborne particles which you are inhaling. Gluten only needs to come into contact with your mucous membranes to have an effect.

Poppi Enthusiast

i work in a resataurant where i cook, clean, serve, and prepare food. it is a seafood restauant so we use alot of crumbing and floured fish. can this make me sick if im working with it? or is it just if i ingest it? like can i get my hands dirty and not worry? im a little apprehensive to go back to this job once ive recovered from being in hospital due to my celiac.

Can you wear a mask and wash your hands often?

rdunbar Explorer

absolutely yes. I was a chef for many years, and most recently was doing catering until over a year ago. now i realize that i was getting glutened on a regular basis, and i had'nt even begun to heal as a result.

I had episodes where just being near someone slicing bread ( a lot of it for a whole party) and breathing it in caused me to lose my balance, and become super irritable beyond belief, and more...

from my experience, i would think you need to stay miles away from gluten if you want to get better. i believe that just because you don't feel it at the moment doesn't mean that it's not damaging you, either. i happen to be more 'sensative' than most, but i think the 'sensative' thing may be a myth. I have'nt seen any proof that getting damaged is analogous with getting symptoms; just because someone is 'sensative' doesn't mean they are more prone to damage from gluten exposure.

i mean, just because you got exposed to a little gluten, and did'nt feel it, doesn't mean it's not damaging you.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It is really not going to be safe for you. You could check and see if there are any training programs available to you. People that have to change occupations due to illness are sometimes able to get free training. Check with your local Employment office to see if they know of any.

MissBonnie Apprentice

wow this is what i was affraid of... time to look for a new job i think :( but i love my job!

Karl Otto Explorer

Yes, I can believe that. Sometimes I can be around spices and dried nuts and just sniff or smell them from a bottle of can. I get almost instant smothering and ckoking spells. Some are so strong they bring me down to my knees.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived