drewsnan

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum

Rate this topic

My 8 yr old grandson has a 2 yr history of constipation, diahrrea....mild asthma and aggravating allergies since 2 yrs old. Just got his blood work back and he has Thall Intermedia, but the other numbers are what I don't know how to interpret:

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA of 3 range 0-19

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG of 1 range 0-19

tTG, IgA <1 range of 0-3

tTG, IgG 1 range of 0-5

Endomysial Antibody IgA NEGATIVE

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 48 range of 34 - 305

Some blogs I read indicate if that last item has a very low value, that he may have such a suppressed immune system that he would not be able to produce the anitbodies in ranges that would indicate Celiac.

Any words of wisdom for this grandmother desperately seeking health would be greatly appreciated..not much help out there in the medical world.

My 8 yr old grandson has a 2 yr history of constipation, diahrrea....mild asthma and aggravating allergies since 2 yrs old. Just got his blood work back and he has Thall Intermedia, but the other numbers are what I don't know how to interpret:

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA of 3 range 0-19

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG of 1 range 0-19

tTG, IgA <1 range of 0-3

tTG, IgG 1 range of 0-5

Endomysial Antibody IgA NEGATIVE

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 48 range of 34 - 305

Some blogs I read indicate if that last item has a very low value, that he may have such a suppressed immune system that he would not be able to produce the anitbodies in ranges that would indicate Celiac.

Any words of wisdom for this grandmother desperately seeking health would be greatly appreciated..not much help out there in the medical world.

Yes, it is correct that if the total serum IgA (the last item) is out of range then the other IgA tests will be invalidated. In your grandson's case he falls within the normal range for the lab for his age group, and I would read the celiac tests as being negative. I had to look up Thal intermedia - sounds like he could well do with not having celiac if he has to deal with that disease. I hope now he has a diagnosis that he can be treated and improve. :) It is usually good news when grandmothers oversee and are concerned about their grandchildren.

Sometimes it is a good idea to trial children gluten free for a while to see if they improve even though negative on testing, as the testing is not 100% accurate by any means.

If you google thalassemia + celiac you find some thal forums dealing with celiac. I've searched them lately because thalassemia trait runs in my husband's family....and we are looking at Celiac testing for our son.

If you suspect gluten issues, be aware there is also a dx called gluten intolerance where he can test negative on blood tests, yet respond to the diet.

Good luck, and I hope your grandson feels better soon.

For people with low IgA, you read the IgG celiac tests so your grandson is negative. It's good that his doctor did a thorough panel. As everyone else says, it doesn't rule out gluten sensitivity.

I looked back at his bloodwork from 2 yrs ago, just as he was starting to have digestive issues. That Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum number was 81 and is now 48. I know labs can goof on tests, but that seems like quite a drop in 2 yrs. Most of what I read indicates that value should rise with age until adulthood. Will research further on Thalassemia + Celiac, as my 31 yr old daughter(his mom) has lots of health issues, Low B12, low D, low folic acid, low potassium, iron deficiency anemia (not related to the Thal), IBS, joint pain....One Rhuem DR diagnosed it all as lupus / RA, even though the labs don't confirm that. She is scheduled for an edoscopy in 2 weeks to rule out a bleed somewhere, and GI doc agreeed to check for celiac as well. Her labs did not show celiac, but she has been on methotrexate for 3+ months, and some info shows that could cause a false negative. I have one cousin with confirmed Celiac, and my husband, has a brother and neice with confirmed Celiac...

Any thoughts on grandson's drop in values or daughter's issues?