This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Actually Been Glutened By Cosmetics?

Aly1

Aly1 Contributor

I have been gluten-free since September (well, I am trying to be but keep getting glutened, sigh) and have done a little research on this topic. Mostly I've read that it's a good idea to have gluten-free personal care products but generally since they aren't ingested the likelihood of getting glutened is slim.

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually had problems this way? I just discovered that my nice, natural eye makeup remover that I searched so hard to find (am sensitive to everything) contains wheat germ oil. Wondering if mucous membranes like the eyes are more likely to cause a problem. So annoying, we really are living in a gluten-filled world! :wacko:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have been gluten-free since September (well, I am trying to be but keep getting glutened, sigh) and have done a little research on this topic. Mostly I've read that it's a good idea to have gluten-free personal care products but generally since they aren't ingested the likelihood of getting glutened is slim.

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually had problems this way? I just discovered that my nice, natural eye makeup remover that I searched so hard to find (am sensitive to everything) contains wheat germ oil. Wondering if mucous membranes like the eyes are more likely to cause a problem. So annoying, we really are living in a gluten-filled world! :wacko:

Anything that contacts a mucous membrane can be absorbed and flare the antibodies. If you are still getting glutened often then drop the cosmetics with gluten and see if things improve.

Aly1 Contributor

Thanks for the comment. I am still feeling glutened so I will take that advice. In truth, that eye makeup remover has always irritated my eyes just a bit but after dealing with transitioning to gluten free I just didn't want to deal with it. I guess I need to!

Metoo Enthusiast

I am moving that direction now too, I have lingering skin problems and have decided to just do away and go gluten free with all my shampoos and moisturizers.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks for the comment. I am still feeling glutened so I will take that advice. In truth, that eye makeup remover has always irritated my eyes just a bit but after dealing with transitioning to gluten free I just didn't want to deal with it. I guess I need to!

The only eye makeup I can think of that would need a special remover would be waterproof mascara. Can you just switch to one that's washable so you don't need to use that eye makeup remover?

Aly1 Contributor

My mascara isn't waterproof but really doesn't wash off with just water - leaves me with raccoon eyes! Who knows, maybe the irritation I've experienced is due to the removers I've used containing gluten. I will do some searching for a gluten-free one and see how it goes...

Reba32 Rookie

the eye makeup remover is put to your eye via your fingers, (even if it's on a cotton pad) and then fingers can come into contact with your mouth, so yeah, even if it's not getting into the mucous membranes of your eyelids, it could still very well be getting into your mouth.

I had a couple of really nice body lotions that had wheat germ in them when I was first dx'd. I gave them to a friend. I'd put the lotion on, then sit and rest my chin in my hand, and fingers would get near my mouth, and boom, I'd be glutened. It's just safer to abstain in all aspects.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I find that any make-up remover that contains oil, whether gluten based or not, causes irritation to the eye.

Oil is not something you want to be getting into your eye and it has little to do with gluten. I use a cream based remover and it also moisturizes your eye lid. I have Sjogren's Syndrome and my eyes are easily irritated but this seems to work well. Just don't use a lot and pat gently with a cotton pad to remove, then rinse well with water.

I do not screen eye make-up for gluten because I have had zero problems with it. I'm a pretty sensitive Celiac also. I find it pretty hard to get anything from the eyes to the mouth....I dont get that. :huh: It's mostly personal choice and it you feel more comfortable going completely gluten-free, do so. You may also have a topical allergy if your eyes are getting irritated.

I would try another remover or just use plain old fashioned cold creme.....sometimes this works better than most fancy removers.

Archived