gunny7

Duhring Disease - Can You Give Me Some Tips?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum so please be gentle ;) Furthermore English is not my native language so sorry for any mistakes.

So my question is: Is the diet in Duhring disease mandatory? You see I have a really little rash and it is not burdensome so I am wondering maybe I can use ointment and eat normal food? If I wont be on diet it would cause any other damages in my body apart from the rash?

Thx for any advice

Best regards

Gabe

Age (maybe it is important): 23

I will admit that I had to look up Duhring Disease, I didn't know dermatitis herpeformis (DH) had any other names.

Yes you do need the diet. A diagnosis of DH is a diagnosis of celiac and it may be impacting you in ways that you are not aware of yet. You can prevent a great deal of future damage to your bodies other organs, including the brain and liver, for example, if you continue to eat gluten.

Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you need to. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but we will try to help you make the changes that you need to make.

Your Duhring's Disease is Celiac Disease. Duhring discovered the skin disease in the 1800"s but he didn't know it was related to gluten. Later the connection was made. People with Duhring Disease must be gluten free for life. If you don't stay strictly gluten free, your mild rash can turn into something much more severe. It is very hard to heal. The antibodies are known to stay in the skin up to 10 years. It takes most people many months to heal, some up to 2 years. Iodine can keep the antibodies and the rash active. Some of the research shows that people with DH actually are more susceptible to secondary diseases and cancers associated with Celiac. The risk is there, but I try not to think about it as long as I am strictly gluten free. If you have a mild rash and you were diagnosed, you are very lucky. It means you got it early and you won't have to suffer the rashes that some people have.

Don't worry about English being your second language...we will try to figure out what you are saying. Also, if you don't understand something I have written, please feel free to ask for further explanation. I don't mind at all and neither will anyone else. It is very overwhelming at first. Just try to read in the section here Dermatitis Herpetiformis as much as you can. We will be happy to help with any questions. Welcome to the cite. Glad you posted.