measlymoose

The Easiest Way To Transitions Toddler

Rate this topic

My daughter is 3 now and on Friday I was told she has the gluten allergy, I know that is not celiac but all the information they gave is for both. I reorganized our kitchen and cleaned our one counter top specifically for her. Changing her diet isn't going to be very difficult considering we already eat pretty healthy. My problem with all this is that, I have trouble switching brands with her. She is very picky and notices the difference in the products. How can I make this transition easier for her and myself. Actually, any advice/opinions/suggestions are welcomed. Thank you!

I'm an adult but I found this worked for me. If she likes a gluten product like goldfish crackers, don't immediately switch her to the gluten-free versions. They are different. Just don't give her goldfish crackers for a few months, then try the gluten-free version when she has "forgoten" what they taste like. Try some new things she may not have had like Cinnamon Chex.

If she is picky about bread, maybe make muffins, frozen wafffles & rice cakes instead. Toast or grill the bread if she will do that, then its harder to tell its not the same bread.

We chose to do 1-2 products a week till we were all switched over. We have several other allergies as well so I had to really research what brands were going to be safe. DS was 3 at the time and d/t his allergies we were eating pretty much whole /made at home foods so it wasn't a huge deal. This also saved me from going crazy trying to switch everything all at one. I was giving myself 6 weeks to transition but it really only took me a month.

I will add, my DS was asymptomatic so I wasn't pressed for time really. I know it was not healthy for him to stay on it but we weren't combating major APPARENT GI issues.

That's her problem it really effects her when she's digesting foods. She's been having problems with this since last June and we just got an answer. So I'd like to accomplish as much as possible as soon as possible. She gets so bad she cannot use the bathroom, and a distended stomach. Thank you for the advice! It's greatly appreciated.

3yr olds are pretty smart, smarter than we think, we explained to my daughter who was 2 yrs 9 months at theorem that there was something in her food called gluten and it was hurting her insides, if she kept eating it she wouldn't grow and bet really sick. We told her she was going to have to change some of Stickings she ate. We told what thinks shereally liked that she could still have. She just does if we you,d find gluten free pasta so she could still have mac and cheese (vegan and gluten free), we said yes. Her response "okay". No tears or anything

our daughter also has an anaphylactic reaction to milk and eggs, she knows she can't eat it our and needs her "shot" (epi pen)

I know its not quite the same situation but she is at an age where she does you understand a lot, if you exp,ain it to her as clearly and simply as you can, you will probably find she is okay with it, there may be a few tears at first, but she needs to understand, because she is going to have to be an advocate for herself. At Christmas someone tried to over my 3 yr old ice cream, she told them no thank you I'm allergic to milk, I stop breathing. And at her best friends birthday the staff at the venue put a piece of cake down in front of her, she waited till he was gone and called me over and whispered to me to change it for her cake, no fuss, no panic, just part of life

I agree with Karen G. same things I would have typed.

Things are going to be tough. 3 year olds are tough. Have some of her favorite things to choose from for snacks and treats. Even if that means she is getting a "candy" treat every now and then when you would have preffered a healthier snack. You have to deal with a 3 year old attitude of wanting to make their own choices right now. The bigger battle here is gluten free to stay healthy. Child's choice of gluten free offerings.

A lot of arguements don't start when you offer, "would you like this or that?" ;)