love2travel

Kinnikinnick's New Soft Bread And Baguette

Rate this topic

I was recently in Edmonton where Kinnikinnick has its store and bakery. I was curious about the new soft bread so am writing a bit of a review on that and the baguette.

Soft bread - it really is soft. You actually do not need to toast it (for 22 minutes!) before you eat it. It actually holds together. The slices are Udi size, unfortunately. However, I recommend it as it passed the usual tests: it didn't fall apart when spreading stuff on it, it did not crumble and it tasted good. It is $4.99 CDN which is a great price. Next time I'm buying more than just two loaves.

Fresh baguette - I was thrilled to see a baguette that actually looks like a baguette. I grabbed two immediately (one white, one multi-grain). Alas, the white one was just ok. The other is in my freezer. My expectations were too high I suppose. It tasted nearly identical to the baguettes I make with the same texture. For some reason I was sort of expecting it to actually taste like a traditional baguette but it definitely did not. Believe me - there is no way I will forget what one tastes like. However, it was certainly a lot of fun using half of it as garlic bread and the other half for a pressed sandwich. It smelled wonderful. They are $3.75 each CDN and still worth it - mine are expensive to make.

I have been to the Kinnikinnick store twice to get bread and hamburger buns and I find the bread slices quite a bit bigger than Udis and the loafs are also much bigger. Its the only bread I will eat now. I have to take the city bus quite a ways but its worth it. I also grabbed a few pizza buns. It was a very soft, fresh cinnamon bun with pizza sauce. I havent had anything that good since going gluten free.

I have been to the Kinnikinnick store twice to get bread and hamburger buns and I find the bread slices quite a bit bigger than Udis and the loafs are also much bigger. Its the only bread I will eat now. I have to take the city bus quite a ways but its worth it. I also grabbed a few pizza buns. It was a very soft, fresh cinnamon bun with pizza sauce. I havent had anything that good since going gluten free.

My loaves must have been squished because I compared. You are right about the loaf size - they are larger than Udi's. I much prefer them to Udi's as well. Glutino is still good (the largest slices) but these Kinnikinnick ones have them beat I think.

Oh, yes - the pizza bun! I tried one of those, too, and it was good. Edmonton has certainly come a long way. Whenever we go there I envy those who have quick access to so many places including restaurants. We have nothing in our town. However, we still go regularly enough and I am so grateful that it is only three hours away! Could be a lot worse. ;)

Fresh baguette - I was thrilled to see a baguette that actually looks like a baguette. I grabbed two immediately (one white, one multi-grain). Alas, the white one was just ok. The other is in my freezer. My expectations were too high I suppose. It tasted nearly identical to the baguettes I make with the same texture. For some reason I was sort of expecting it to actually taste like a traditional baguette but it definitely did not. Believe me - there is no way I will forget what one tastes like. However, it was certainly a lot of fun using half of it as garlic bread and the other half for a pressed sandwich. It smelled wonderful. They are $3.75 each CDN and still worth it - mine are expensive to make.

The soft bread sounds yummy, I'll have to look around and see if we have it anywhere here (east coast USA). But for the baguette -- have you tried Against The Grain? In my area we can buy it at Whole Foods. It is SO similar to a "real" baguette. In my store they're in the freezer section, and they're much smaller than the long baguette you buy in the paper wrapper. But VERY good. The only problem with them is that I can sit down and eat the whole thing, with butter. :ph34r: Can you say calories? :blink: lol

The soft bread sounds yummy, I'll have to look around and see if we have it anywhere here (east coast USA). But for the baguette -- have you tried Against The Grain? In my area we can buy it at Whole Foods. It is SO similar to a "real" baguette. In my store they're in the freezer section, and they're much smaller than the long baguette you buy in the paper wrapper. But VERY good. The only problem with them is that I can sit down and eat the whole thing, with butter. :ph34r: Can you say calories? :blink: lol

Unfortunately the nearest Whole Foods is probably about 2,000 miles away BUT we are supposed to get one only about 800 miles away soon! They sound very good. I have heard a lot of excellent stuff about Against the Grain.

I know what you mean about calories - by the sounds of things, I could quite easily polish off a few dripping with butter at one sitting myself! :P Maybe with a side of bacon. :lol:

Unfortunately the nearest Whole Foods is probably about 2,000 miles away BUT we are supposed to get one only about 800 miles away soon! They sound very good. I have heard a lot of excellent stuff about Against the Grain.

I know what you mean about calories - by the sounds of things, I could quite easily polish off a few dripping with butter at one sitting myself! :P Maybe with a side of bacon. :lol:

I'm pretty sure you can order it from an online store.

The appearance and texture is amazing. Unlike anything else gluten-free. I like it for French toast. I know...why ruin it like that, right??? Here's my deep dark secret - it makes me sad to eat it. Makes me want real French bread (the texture isn't THAT good :) ).

Okay, you have me confused! What the heck is a cinnamon bun with pizza sauce? I went to the Kinnickinnick site & didn't find a pizza bun on the product list>>>>I did find a cinnamon roll!

I will have to try the bread as I'm all Rudi's--Udi's out. Also Genius breaded out! I need a change for sure.

I also have heard that The Three Bakers Bread(formally the grainless baker) has a new 7 grain bread that is very good...anyone try it yet?

Cinnamon bun with pizza sauce is just a regular cinnamon bun roll without all the cinnamon stuff on it. I never seen it on their site either. They make stuff like that and cupcakes with a bunch of others that I dont think are on the website.

Thanks I just didn'tget the cinnamon & pizza sauce!!!. It must be new items they are trying out to see if they would be good sellers then maybe they go onto the website???!!

I really like their krispy rice cereal....I was going to try the new soft breads & thought maybe I'd try the pizza bunbut I guess not!

thanks for the info....