n1c0le

At What Age Did You Develop Neuropathy, Joint, Muscle Pain?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone!

I'm curious at what age everyone experienced neuropathy, joint, and or muscle pain. I'm 23 years old and my doctors and I suspect Celiac, however my doctor recently told me these symptoms wouldn't come out until further down the road in undiagnosed Celiac!

Was this true for you? Did you experience these symptoms at a younger age? Did you experience them before or after other symptoms? Any details about these symptoms will help me! Even a description of what it's like for you!

Thanks, and hope everyone is feeling great today :).

Well, I am 31 and I experience muscle and joint pain. I have a hard time going up stairs at times because my knees hurt so bad. I was 30 when that started.

I have not been diagnosed yet however my joint pain, knees, shoulders, lower back pain with spasms started when i was 26 i am now 29

I started experiencing bone and joint pain right around your age (about 22-23 YO). In particular, my knees gave out. It was necessary to give up jogging and any activity that involved running. Even a few seconds would cause my knees to lock up.

It seems more reversible if you get it early. I got it in my sixties and am on permanent RA meds for it (psoriatic arthritis).

I didn't even think of it until now, but I had physical therapy 18 months ago for upper back & neck pain. Just believed it was bad posture, but now looking back and at the same time I developed neuropathy in my fingers it now all makes sense... BTW i am now 33 so this started when I was 31.

I began to get back pain around 30 & knees were about 5 years before that. Shoulders around 30.

For my son, he had full blown neuropathy by the age of 8.

Hmm.

I still am an, "Unknown" case, as I went for a screening last Friday, still waiting on results (expecting negative, as that seems to be the case for tests), but this is an interesting topic. If I have any sort of Gluten-Intolerance, or Celiac issues, I never would have put two and two together with joint pain.

How does one know what is normal wear and tear, and something brought on I wonder? I have had knee issues since I was 19ish, but I suspected it was overall from running, as I would run a few days a week, about an hour a time. I tried so many methods to alleviate the pain from: Hot Water Bottle, Icing, cutting down my running, taking Omega 3's, Glucosamine (always) and I began weight lifting to negate any muscle imbalances that could occur from over-development of my Quadriceps. But the pain ALWAYS came back, it could be so painful if I was working (in retail, standing) I had to hunch over and sometimes showering hurt, just standing, but then it would go away.

I haven't run actually in over a month or two, I have a Sole Treadmill cost us well over 2,000 dollars I couldn't run on, my knees, my shins - it hurt. I bought a Spin Bike (love of my life) and have been doing more Stiff-Legged Deadlifts and other hamstring exercises to maintain a balance (along with Squats, Back/Front) and my knees haven't felt this great in years, I can't even recall.

So It's hard to tell if laying off Gluten is a culprit.. or just changing my muscle structures..Honestly, if tests come back negative, this is a life-style chance I will do my damnedest to adapt to, because if I can feel normal, like other people, by just following a stricter regime? I think it's well worth it - difficult maybe, but well worth it. If it takes weeks to break a habit, I hope it takes as short of time to break this illness and reverse any ill effects.

Ahhh.. If its Celiac it's just insane isn't it? How one tiny intolerance can just.. ruin your life.

Thanks everyone! Wow, so many symptoms at young ages. I too went to physical therapy for 4 months for suspected symmetrical knee sprains. Then my neuropathy kicked in and that's what lead me back to what doctors have suggested to me many times - celiac!

For me those problems developed in childhood at around age 7 or so. It got worse as years went on and became very severe by the time I was in my 30's. Most of the problems resolved within a couple years gluten free but some nerve damage remains (no pain though) and is likely permanent as I have been gluten-free for almost 10 years now.