MissPatient21

The Lentil Cross Contimination Problem

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

If you aren't aware of the cross contamination problem with dry lentils (even packaged), check out this link/video here: http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2011/11/lentil-and-kale-dal-video.html

I've been really frustrated lately because my favorite dry black lentils from Timeless Foods used to be safe for me. But recently, I started developing itching in my mouth after eating them and G.I. symptoms 8-12 hours later. So, I dumped out a whole bag of them and guess what I found? 6 grains! I'm not sure what kind of grain kernels they were, but it looks like wheat. Nonetheless, they're contaminated.

Have you all found a brand of lentils that works for you, that you haven't found to be contaminated with grains?

-I have never had a problem with Eden Foods green lentils.

-Obviously, Timeless Foods black lentils are now unsafe for me (I assume their other lentils are too).

How about you?

I've never had a problem, yet. I buy them locally so maybe that's why?

I've gotten sick with lentils. For now I'm just avoiding them but I would LOVE to be able to reintroduce them if anyone knows of a safe brand.

I have found wheat kernels as well as oats in dried lentils, unfortunately.

I've gotten sick with lentils. For now I'm just avoiding them but I would LOVE to be able to reintroduce them if anyone knows of a safe brand.

I've never found any in my Eden Foods dry green lentils. Has anyone had a problem with those?

All other lentils I've tried, especially Timeless Foods, have had wheat berries in them. :(

Thanks for the link to the video. Finding gluten grains where they don't belong has also been my experience.

I just went through previous threads and read that people have found grains in Bob Redmill's lentils as well.

Has anyone tried Arrowhead Mills lentils?