This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Cocoa Causing Stomach Problems?

megansmommy

megansmommy Newbie

Can anyone give me any insight to hot cocoa causing a celiac reaction?

My daughter has celiac disease, diagnosed 2 years ago. We follow a very strict gluten free diet.

For the last week she has been having a lot of stomach problems, even though we are certain everything

she is eating is gluten free. Twice this weekend she had a bad reaction immediately after drinking hot cocoa,

which the label says is gluten free. She has drank this brand in the past and not had any problems.

Could it be the milk used to make the cocoa? She drinks milk all the time with no issues.

Its so frustrating to see her get sick, and not know the cause. Is there anything anyone can suggest

we can do to try to figure out what is making her sick?

Thanks for the help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txgal748 Apprentice

It could be the cocoa was manufactured in a facility that processes wheat. I was looking at the popular hot cocoa products at the grocery store and none of them are gluten-free. I figure I will have to make hot cocoa from scratch. Hope you find a solution.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I agree with the idea that the cocoa being cc'd by the factory. If she has hand no issues prior to this with milk, then i believe she's fine with it.

megansmommy Newbie

The cocoa mix was Swiss Miss, it says gluten free on the package. She has drank this brand for the last 2 years with no problems.

She drank it 3 times over the last 3 days, twice she got sick within 30 minutes of drinking it, the other time she was fine?

Lisa Mentor

Sometimes we have to remind ourselves to think outside of the box. :) Chocolate and High Frutose Corn Syrup give me terrible reflux within 15-20 minutes, with chocolate being the worst as far as symptoms.

It's not gluten related, yet bad enough that I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I'm not sure if this is your situation, but....

OH WOW...And a great welcome to you! :rolleyes:

• 6 years later...
Ballerina-1020 Newbie

Having a reaction after drinking Swiss Miss hot cocoa that I made with milk. I was diagnosed with celiac disease this Summer. This is the first time that I've had hot cocoa since being diagnosed. It doesn't contain wheat. Why am I reacting? 

ch88 Collaborator

Can you drink milk fine?

Milk tolerance can change with time or after a gluten exposure. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
7 hours ago, Ballerina_1020 said:

Having a reaction after drinking Swiss Miss hot cocoa that I made with milk. I was diagnosed with celiac disease this Summer. This is the first time that I've had hot cocoa since being diagnosed. It doesn't contain wheat. Why am I reacting? 

Many Celiac have milk issues at least at first, your villi produce the enzymes to break down milk. Celiac damages and flattens them thus limiting enzyme production and often causing forms of lactose intolerance. There is also the sugars in it to consider, and that chocolate can be harsh sometimes.

Suggestion to find out, get some Hershey Cocoa and Sweetener of choice (like swerve for no sugar, or real plain cane sugar) and some almond milk like almondbreeeze. Make it using the almond milk (heat 1 cup 1:30 in the microwave) stir in 2-3tsp cocoa, 2table spoons sugar, pinch of salt, and 1 cup milk, They say to add 1/4tsp vanilla but try without first to be sure.

Ballerina-1020 Newbie

Ennis_TX, 

Thank you so much for all of the info & the hot cocoa recipe. I will definitely try it. I really like it & am not willing to try the Swiss Miss again. I had cereal with milk a few days ago & it didn't seem to bother me. Does heating milk change it? 

• 2 weeks later...
selectivefocus Enthusiast

I react to Swiss MIss. It has whey in it I believe, and also corn, but this is not a gluten reaction, even though it can seem that way. Has she been tested for the top 8 allergens since going gluten free? She likely has other intolerances. Cocoa also gives me migraines. 

Archived