Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Changing My Life Style And I Need Advice

6 posts in this topic

I've been struggling with Celiac for about two years now but I'm really wanting to change everything. I currently need a job because where I work isn't Celiac-safe. Does anyone else think that working at Chipotle is safe for a Celiac? Thank you for any advice. I'm ready to change everything for the better!

Ads by Google:

Hmm, I have no idea myself, I've never worked at a Chipotle.  The biggest risk I can see is if they bake with regular gluten flour on the site.  That might be a problem due to possibly inhaling airborne flour.

I've heard of people who have quit their jobs waitressing because being that close to the food was making them ill, and they weren't even physically touching it.  I can't imagine that handling a wheat-based product for hours every day is a good idea.  I even switched to gluten-free hand lotion.  The quantities that can make us sick are so small they are not visible by the human eye.  Think on that awhile.

I believe that Chipotle brings in the flour tortillas pre-made. So, it may only be an issue of touching the tortilla and not airborne contamination.  I always see the employees wearing gloves. 

Yes, you'd have to be careful; however, compared to most restaurants I think it would be very low risk.

I hear great things about working for Chipotle. I'd give it a whirl if that's what you want to do.

I worked in a pizza restaurant just before going gluten free, and I swear it's what triggered my full-blown Celiac due to eating so much pizza/pasta and floury bits about. Don't know if I was being CCd after I went gluten-free (was only there a few weeks after starting the diet, prior to moving), but I can't imagine it would have been safe for me to stay.

As for your situation, if you think you're being CCd by handling/being around the food at the restaurant, then yes, it's time to look for something else. However, if you enjoy your job and don't know for sure if work is the problem, then you could instead stay and take it as an opportunity to educate your coworkers about minimising cross contamination.

Chipotle is great! I always go there when I want gluten free food. They are very conscientious about the CC thing. Hope you can find a job you enjoy!