18 replies to this topic

#16 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:34 AM

Hi Connie! I have never tried making mayo using a whole egg, I was taught by my chef/professors that it wouldn't work because of the albumin in the whites being a different consistancy than the yolk. However, I have found them to be wrong an a few other issues as well, though not tt many. It sounds more like a salad dressing mix because you talk about getting the "air" in the mixture. The yolk method emulsifies the oil and the yolk without air, so it's really easy for first time mayo makers, because you don't need the speed of a mixer, you can just use a whisk if you want.

The only thing I want to mention for everyone elses benifit, is that when using egg yolks, like in my recipe, it is essential to add the lemon juice or other acid (such as vinegar or wine, or a combination) at the begining. It is necessary to denature the protiens so that they become able to emulsify with the oil. I think when you use the egg with the white, the whites do the work of emulsification, so you can get away with adding it later, if you mixter if fast enough, but I don't know how that would stand up over time, or if it would begin to separate. Connie could probably answer that question. Also, drizzle in the oil slowly, so the eggs have a chance to blend well.

Good Luck all!
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:00 PM

Connie, I'm so glad to see someone else uses sunflower oil and dill weed. I love dill weed in everything, potato salad, cole slaw, whatever. And the sunflower oil leaves a nice taste without the heavy tast of olive oil. However---we use olive oil for all other oil uses. Give your baby boy a big smooch from all of us. Shirley

#18 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:18 AM

It works great for me, probably because I was never taught... Kinda a happy blunder ;) (You should see how I make a cheese sauce!! :o )
The mayo doesn't seperate, lasts for days, but you do need a high speed hand mixer.

Thanks for all your input!

Connie

#19 S_EBarr

S_EBarr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

Beth
Gluten Free since Feb 2004!