8 replies to this topic

#1 BELMO33

BELMO33

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'm awaiting biopsy but am testing gluten free foods.  I tried Vans frozen waffles and blehhh did not like, bought some nature's path waffles and those were much better to me, alot closer to eggos.  Any other brands out there?  I did not see any others in Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.  I also cannot find gluten free pancakes at either store at all though I do know they exist as I have seen the Van's ones advertised online though both stores only have the gluten ones.  I asked the girl next to me who was grabbing some of the Van's gluten free waffles and she said generally if you find the pancakes take a photo because you don't see them too often.  As far as bread goes I saw Whole Foods keeps em all frozen yet Trader Joe's does not for some reason?  I'm assuming its probably not a good idea to buy the non frozen bread as far as it lasting long?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Unless you live in the city where the gluten-free bread is made, the bread is frozen to ship. Some stores thaw it out and some leave it frozen. My WF thaws a few at a time. I usually ask for one from the freezer in back. If its thawed, I just put all or most of it in my freezer.

Many people like the Pamela's pancake and baking mix. You could make a bunch and freeze some. Some people even use them to make Pb & j sandwiches.

Schar bread is not frozen. We really like the baguette. You cook it about five minutes.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm assuming its probably not a good idea to buy the non frozen bread as far as it lasting long?

Unless you are in need of a door stop or sumphin'. :wacko:

Oh and I must add.... I love Van's Waffles and eat them every morning toasted with Peanut Butter (melted on the hot waffle) and Orange Marmalade.  WELL, almost every morning.  I never ate EGGO's, my kids did (before my dx) The cool thing on this diet, is you discover new priorities. ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

If you find Krusteaz waffles they're pretty good. I wouldn't buy frozen pancakes since they're so easy to make. Either from scratch or the mixes are generally pretty decent too. I can't recommend Bisquick for breakfast foods, but it is awesome for impossible pies. Other than that though I haven't run into a pancake/waffle mix I haven't liked. By far though, my favorite everything in a box is Hodgson Mill.

You'll find that everyone likes a different everything best. Just the same as the gluten world. You'll just have to keep trying them all and decide for yourself. You'll also quickly realize that most of the prepackaged stuff is expensive, and in comparison to what you can make yourself, not good at all. Before you know it you'll have so many kinds of flour in your freezer you won't have room for waffles. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I buy the unfrozen Udi's from Trader Joes all the time. I put it in the freezer as soon as I get home and it's fine.

Everyone likes something different, but honestly, make your own.  Make a big batch of pancakes and freeze them yourself.  Way tastier. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

I bought unfrozen Udis at Whole Foods and it was moldy by the next day.

#7 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

My TJ's has gluten-free frozen waffles right by all the regular ones, so they definitely make them. Maybe if you talk to the manager then they could order some for the store?

I'm guessing, because you didn't list it, that you don't have Wegmans (mostly in the north east) but if you ever go where there is one, their gluten free frozen waffles are better than the normal ones and you get more per box. I would buy them even before I got my celiac diagnosis.

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

#8 formygirl

formygirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Giant Eagle has gluten free nature's basket mini waffles...

#9 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

Another idea is to make banana bread.  It is great as French Toast, too.  I slice mine thickly, place wax paper between slices and freeze.  Easy peasy.  Or how about making muffins or cupcakes?  Very simple to make gluten free.  Eggs Benedict is one of my favourite things for breakfasts/lunches.  Just buy English muffins or use bread (homemade is best) or even bagels.  Toast 'em first and Bob's your uncle!  :D

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: