This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breakfast Food/breads Question

BELMO33

BELMO33 Newbie

I'm awaiting biopsy but am testing gluten free foods.  I tried Vans frozen waffles and blehhh did not like, bought some nature's path waffles and those were much better to me, alot closer to eggos.  Any other brands out there?  I did not see any others in Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.  I also cannot find gluten free pancakes at either store at all though I do know they exist as I have seen the Van's ones advertised online though both stores only have the gluten ones.  I asked the girl next to me who was grabbing some of the Van's gluten free waffles and she said generally if you find the pancakes take a photo because you don't see them too often.  As far as bread goes I saw Whole Foods keeps em all frozen yet Trader Joe's does not for some reason?  I'm assuming its probably not a good idea to buy the non frozen bread as far as it lasting long?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Unless you live in the city where the gluten-free bread is made, the bread is frozen to ship. Some stores thaw it out and some leave it frozen. My WF thaws a few at a time. I usually ask for one from the freezer in back. If its thawed, I just put all or most of it in my freezer.

Many people like the Pamela's pancake and baking mix. You could make a bunch and freeze some. Some people even use them to make Pb & j sandwiches.

Schar bread is not frozen. We really like the baguette. You cook it about five minutes.

Lisa Mentor

I'm assuming its probably not a good idea to buy the non frozen bread as far as it lasting long?

Unless you are in need of a door stop or sumphin'. :wacko:

Oh and I must add.... I love Van's Waffles and eat them every morning toasted with Peanut Butter (melted on the hot waffle) and Orange Marmalade.  WELL, almost every morning.  I never ate EGGO's, my kids did (before my dx) The cool thing on this diet, is you discover new priorities. ;)

Adalaide Mentor

If you find Krusteaz waffles they're pretty good. I wouldn't buy frozen pancakes since they're so easy to make. Either from scratch or the mixes are generally pretty decent too. I can't recommend Bisquick for breakfast foods, but it is awesome for impossible pies. Other than that though I haven't run into a pancake/waffle mix I haven't liked. By far though, my favorite everything in a box is Hodgson Mill.

You'll find that everyone likes a different everything best. Just the same as the gluten world. You'll just have to keep trying them all and decide for yourself. You'll also quickly realize that most of the prepackaged stuff is expensive, and in comparison to what you can make yourself, not good at all. Before you know it you'll have so many kinds of flour in your freezer you won't have room for waffles. :lol:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I buy the unfrozen Udi's from Trader Joes all the time. I put it in the freezer as soon as I get home and it's fine.

Everyone likes something different, but honestly, make your own.  Make a big batch of pancakes and freeze them yourself.  Way tastier. :)

Juliebove Rising Star

I bought unfrozen Udis at Whole Foods and it was moldy by the next day.

EmiPark210 Contributor

My TJ's has gluten-free frozen waffles right by all the regular ones, so they definitely make them. Maybe if you talk to the manager then they could order some for the store?

I'm guessing, because you didn't list it, that you don't have Wegmans (mostly in the north east) but if you ever go where there is one, their gluten free frozen waffles are better than the normal ones and you get more per box. I would buy them even before I got my celiac diagnosis.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

formygirl Rookie

Giant Eagle has gluten free nature's basket mini waffles...

love2travel Mentor

Another idea is to make banana bread.  It is great as French Toast, too.  I slice mine thickly, place wax paper between slices and freeze.  Easy peasy.  Or how about making muffins or cupcakes?  Very simple to make gluten free.  Eggs Benedict is one of my favourite things for breakfasts/lunches.  Just buy English muffins or use bread (homemade is best) or even bagels.  Toast 'em first and Bob's your uncle!  :D

Archived