2 replies to this topic

#1 CR5442

CR5442

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

Hi all, this is about my Dad, not me.  I am not biopsy diagnosed but have Celiac (ataxia, stomach problems, migraines, weight loss etc when eating gluten - worse after two years avoidance).  My Dad has been admitted to hospital with severe prostatitis, liver stones, kidney stones, renal failure and bleeding gut (alternating const/diarr).  Does anyone recognise these as celiac symptoms?  He also has MS, and has had digestive problems his entire life...particularly in adulthood.  Any advise on what to ask the doctors?  He is very stubborn and proud and wants to do everything himself but I'm sure he'll think the celiac connection is lala unless I can come up with some peer reviewed medical articles to show him.  He has been treated shockingly by his GP surgery and I think is honestly expecting to die some time soon. Any help will be welcome.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hi Caroline.  I'm so very sorry to hear about your Dad.  I will pray for him.

As far as your questions are concerned.   The prostatitis, if bacterial should be able to be cleared up, if not bacterial then I don't know.  The renal failure does have a connection to celiac.  Here is the information about that. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21813475. Since the stones and the bleeding gut are also digestive issues they may have a connection but I'm not personally aware of it.  

I do think it is worth mentioning it to the doctor even if not to your Dad.  I do hope they can get him stable.   Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you would like.  We are not doctors here but we have a wealth of experience.

All the best to you and your Dad.

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 CR5442

CR5442

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

Thanks so much Colleen.  I haven't had a chance to talk to the doctors as visiting is out of daylight hours.  He is now out of hospital so that his kidneys can recover enough for them to do the barium meal contrast scan... but he is still very poorly.  I'll see if I can mention to his wife this weekend about the celiac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: