This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here And Need Help! 8-Year-Old Daughter So Many Symptoms Even Though We Stopped Gluten Five Days Ago

worriedseattlemom

frieze Community Regular

That's what I wasn't sure of, but I just found out that anything over .05 is positive, so....yah....she's tested very high.

thanks, and...geesh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tracey231 Newbie

Hi Worried Seattle Mom

I know that you are focused on your daughter at the moment, and that going gluten free is scary(!) but please consider putting your son on a gluten free diet also. I say this because I have had a lot of food intolerances - Dairy, Egg, fruit, fizzy drink, etc, but after going gluten free for 4 months, I now can eat these things - and I feel better. Even if he does not have Celiac, there is a strong possibility that he is gluten sensitive, (keeping your daughters journey in mind also) and that this is causing his other intolerances. I understand that it can take a year or more for the gut to heal enough to be able to eat these previously not tolerated foods (and it depends on the reaction that he has to them whether you want to risk them) In my experience being Gluten free is a lot more liberating than the other intolerances, and although a bit of a learning curve - if you are already doing this for you daughter, then maybe try for your son too?

Also - I completely understand your position with regards to the biopsy and having to continue the gluten with your daughter. However... this is the best chance you will have to have the definitive result that many people with Celiac find helps them stay completely gluten free for the rest of their life. Two more weeks of pain now, could prevent 3 months or more in the future, and even then the result will never be as strong. 

Best of luck with your journey - is is horrible when family members are ill:(

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Whew.

So what are they doing for her thyroid? As someone with both celiac and hashis I can attest that the symptoms overlap greatly, and the hashis can make her more miserable than the celiac (after she's gluten-free).

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Sue Barnett
    Newest Member
    Sue Barnett
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      You have three celiac disease specific antibody tests that are positive: Endomysial  Antibody IGA (aka, EMA), tTG-IGA, and tTG_IGG. Furthermore, your Immunoglobulin A at 55 is low, meaning you are IGA deficient. This one is not an antibody test for celaic disease per se but a measure of "total IGA" levels and if low (yours is low) it can suppress the individual antibody scores and even cause false negatives. So, yes, it definitely looks like you have celiac disease.   Do not yet begin a gluten free diet as your physician may refer you to a GI doc for an endoscopy/biopsy of the small bowel lining for confirmation of the antibody testing. This may help:   
    • Bayb
      Hi, I received my labs via email yesterday and have not heard back from my doctor yet. Can anyone tell me if these results indicate I have Celiac?      Endomysial Antibody IgAPositive  Ft-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA6  H0-3 (U/mL) - Negative 0 - 3 - Weak Positive 4 - 10 - Positive >10 - Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten-sensitive enteropathy. FImmunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum55  L87-352 (mg/dL) Ft-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG183  H0-5 (U/mL) - Negative 0 - 5 - Weak Positive 6 - 9 - Positive >9
    • Aussienae
      Mine is definitely triggered by inflammation and stress! I do also have arthritis in my spine, but the pain is more in my pelvic area. Im sure i have other food intolerances or other autoimmune isues but the more I focus on it and see doctor after doctor, it just gets worse.  Best thing is get of Gluten! (I also avoid lactose). Try to limit stress and anything that causes inflammation in your body.
    • ButWhatCanIEat
      Good morning,   I got an email about replies to this post. Some of my doctors had blamed a slipped disc for the pain I had and that contributes, but after meeting with a gastroenterologist AGAIN and trying some lifestyle modifications, I found out I have IBS and can't tolerate corn or excessive fructose to any degree. Cutting out corn AFTER having cut out all gluten containing products was a real pain but I feel much better now!
    • trents
      So, I contacted Scott Adams, the author of that article and also the creator/admin of this website, and pointed out to him the need to clarify the information in the paragraph in question. He has now updated the paragraph and it is clear that the DGP-IGA does serve the purpose of circumventing the false negatives that IGA deficiencies can generate in the tTG-IGA antibody test.