arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is Losing A Bit Of Weight Normal At The Beginning Of Diet. I'm Already A Thin Man.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jay81

jay81

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hello everyone. I started a gluten-free diet about a month and have been really strict with it. I haven't had tests to know if I have celiac, but I think from how much better I feel from eliminating it from my diet, I'm pretty sure I have gluten sensitivities at the least. I would like to get to the Dr. eventually, but at this time don't have insurance.

I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago, but until I can get to the Dr. , I'm not really sure if that diagnosis was correct then or still is... with IBS/Crohns/Colitis/Celiac disease all having similar symptoms. I'm going to try and get there soon, so no need to tell me. :)

Anyway, I figured I'd see if the gluten free diet helped with my issues, and it has helped my stomach a lot. I have many less bathroom trips, and I'd say my stomach discomfort is much less frequent. Overall the month of testing out different foods, everything has been going really well. Even my aches and pains feel a bit better.

The only thing that worried me a little was I dropped 5 or 6 pounds, and was wondering if this was normal for anyone else. I've always tended to lose weight easier than gain any. I've always been around 5'8 and 130 pds. and I'm 32- I've come to accept I'm just a small guy, but more weight makes me nervous. So when I popped on the scale and was at 124 I figured, I'd ask.

I know in the beginning it was hard to find as many foods to eat frequently so that may have been one reason. I also know weight fluctuates a couple pounds here and there, so I'm not overly nervous about it, especially since I feel a lot better and haven't really seen any noticeable change in waist size or anything. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

If you are eating less calories, you will lose weight.  Many times people give up a few gluteny foods that are high calorie. Try adding more calories.  Add some oil or butter to your veggies or chicken.  If you can eat dairy - add some cheese.  Eat nuts and nut  butters or "seeds" and seed butters.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#3 ezgoindude

ezgoindude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hey Jay 81,

any chance you still active on the site? I'd have to relate i'm an exact situation as yourself, and wanted to keep in touch for advice.

25 year old guy docs have me stuck EGID/ gastroenteritis/ celiac/ NCGI area, ive been their lab rat for 9 months with no conclusive evidence for anything, all I know is no grains no dairy being a life saver, but with the sacrifice that I have also have not been gaining anything.

Summer 2010 - Loose stools, insomnia, doc blames IBS, continues for years

Sept 2013 - extremely ill like flu, inflamed eyes, loosing weight

Feb 2014 - fecal calprotectin 151, colonoscopy/endoscopy clear, duodenum looked flat,

complete celiac blood panel negative

May 2014 - HLA DQ2A1*05:01/05:05 POSITIVE, one copy

HLA DQ2B1*02:01/02:02 POSITIVE, two copies

June 2014 - undiagnosed, much improvement on paleo diet, gluten/dairy/soy intolerant.

#4 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

Hey Jay 81,

any chance you still active on the site? I'd have to relate i'm an exact situation as yourself, and wanted to keep in touch for advice.

25 year old guy docs have me stuck EGID/ gastroenteritis/ celiac/ NCGI area, ive been their lab rat for 9 months with no conclusive evidence for anything, all I know is no grains no dairy being a life saver, but with the sacrifice that I have also have not been gaining anything.

Hi Ezgoindude.

Jay has not been active since December 2013 with only 3 posts made.  He may not be back.  You can start a new topic or see who else responds to this one.

Good Luck

Colleen

:D HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY :D

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: