Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Rice Is Making Us Sick!

27 posts in this topic

When I was first diagnosed gluten intolerant, I found I could not tolerate grains of any kind. I haven't tried any of them again yet because I am still recovering and don't want to have problems. I believe there are many people who are able to incorporate gluten free grains back into their diet again successfully and others who are not. Don't know which one I will be yet. I do know that with time it gets easier to accept the limitations without feeling deprived.

Ads by Google:

I've always been an oatmeal girl, but unfortunately at this point, I cannot eat oats even certified gluten-free one.  I loved the texture of oatmeal, and that it was always eaten warm.  I tried Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Hot Cereal, but even though it is labeled gluten free, it didn't sit well with me.  

I agree that Lundberg is a great brand!  I ended up buying the sushi rice even though I don't have any intention of actually making sushi in the near future  :) It has a great creamy consistency without anything added, but I do enjoy adding Earth Balance spread to it.  I haven't found the sushi type in many stores, but I did find it at Whole Foods.  I was told in my nutrition class last semester that rice is the least reactive food, so if patients are having a hard time with different grains, a dietician will try rice.

http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/packaged_rice/Sushi_Organic.aspx

Andrew, I really think it depends on the person.  Brown rice feels like it sits in my stomach, but white rice feels like it processes right on through.  To each their own  :)

When I was first having tummy issues, my gi told me to eat white rice - not brown.  Brown is more fibrous and may not digest as easily.