6 replies to this topic

#1 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I just came across some information that I thought might be of interest in those who are gluten free but have a lot of symptoms and seem to react allergically to many OTHER foods.

There is a somewhat controversial condition known as Histamine Intolerance that is speculated to involve abnormally low levels of DAO, the enzyme that destroys histamine. If histamine levels rise due to this, then they can begin to cause allergic reactions like congestion, headaches, sneezing, itching, rashes, hives, even breathing issues, or stomach and gut problems.  

Some women can even experience a cessation of their allergy symptoms when pregnant, because the placenta releases high levels of DAO and so histamine breaks down faster. 

The reason this may be of interest to Celiacs or gluten intolerants is because one of the places DAO is found in the membranes of cells lining the small intestine, and in the upper portion of the colon. So people with damage in either of these areas may not be making as much DAO as they normally would. 

So if you are recently gluten free, haven't healed up yet, and are having many allergic reactions, it might be worth you while to check out histamine intolerance and a low histamine diet, too. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hi TH,

I posted a thread about this not too long ago and I linked to Jess' article as well, if you are interested!

http://www.celiac.co...?hl=+mast +cell

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

Oh, thank you for the link - I haven't seen that one before. :-)

T.H.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

Oh, thank you for the link - I haven't seen that one before. :-)

Looks like there are quite a few of us with this additional intolerance (and oh boy, right?!)  :rolleyes:

At least we know what it is, though--trying to figure out what else is at play is maddening, isn't it. 

Hope you are feeling better. If I stay away from the high histamines, I sure do. It's the overload that gets me every time.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, it does look like that - I wonder how common it will turn out to be whenever it is eventually researched, you know?

Very glad to hear that you are doing better. 

I'm hopeful for myself. I got a nasty virus and all my symptoms went a bit crazy, unfortunately. :-/  Even on a low histamine diet now, I'm getting things like allergic reactions to exercise, hives from the sunlight on my skin - seriously, what's up with that? 0.o But in some ways, that's kind of a good thing because my symptoms getting so weird and so much worse is what made me go back to my doctor one last time and finally get diagnosed by a new expert in town. And because of that, we got my daughter diagnosed, which makes it all totally worth it to find out something that's going on with her.

Do you find that you have histamine overload from normal histamine causing activities, like exercise or stress, or is it more the foods that mess with your histamine levels?

Looks like there are quite a few of us with this additional intolerance (and oh boy, right?!)  :rolleyes:

At least we know what it is, though--trying to figure out what else is at play is maddening, isn't it. 

Hope you are feeling better. If I stay away from the high histamines, I sure do. It's the overload that gets me every time.

T.H.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

Yeah, it does look like that - I wonder how common it will turn out to be whenever it is eventually researched, you know?

Very glad to hear that you are doing better. 

I'm hopeful for myself. I got a nasty virus and all my symptoms went a bit crazy, unfortunately. :-/  Even on a low histamine diet now, I'm getting things like allergic reactions to exercise, hives from the sunlight on my skin - seriously, what's up with that? 0.o But in some ways, that's kind of a good thing because my symptoms getting so weird and so much worse is what made me go back to my doctor one last time and finally get diagnosed by a new expert in town. And because of that, we got my daughter diagnosed, which makes it all totally worth it to find out something that's going on with her.

Do you find that you have histamine overload from normal histamine causing activities, like exercise or stress, or is it more the foods that mess with your histamine levels?

I do not get that reaction from exercise or sun (thank goodness as we have just moved to Florida and that would have been

a bummer )

but Gotta Ski Lisa does. Foods and food additives mess with me. My face and scalp become polka dotted with sores and 

my joints and bones hurts, heart palps, I get racy and suffer  insomnia. I  swell up and look and feel if I have been injected with helium

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

Ouch!  Sympathies. 

Although OMG - am I remembering right that you get headaches from perfume sometimes? Now it makes sense!

T.H.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: histamine intolerance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: