This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Many New Food Allergies At Once?

klk9100

Michelle1234 Contributor

I had this problem too. I posted about it but can't figure out how to link to the post. Here is my reply to a similar question containing the suppliments I took to clear it up. I'm very lucky in that I have a holistic Dr. who knows about this sort of thing and I can afford the appt. to get it looked at. It is very expensive so I posted what he prescribed here so others could take advantage of it. It is all over the counter so anyone can buy it. Mostly I got mine on amazon.

--------------------------------

After about 5 yrs eating gluten free I developed massive food allergies to everything I ate. I had been following this forum for pretty much the entire time and noticed that alot of other people developed them also. Fortunately I have a great Dr. who did some tests and put me on some suppliments (over the counter) that solved it all. For any one who is interested but perhaps doesn't have access to good Drs. or can't afford the $1000 test here is what I started taking:

Allimax - contains Allicin is an organosulfur compound obtained from garlic 2x per day for 8 weeks.

Candibactin-BR - From (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) 'CandiBactin-BR provides extracts of herbs including berberine-containing plants to support healthy immune, detoxification, and elimination functions. Featuring berberine hydrochloride and extracts of Oregon grape and coptis roots, the formula encourages a healthy intestinal environment and supports detoxification function of the liver and gallbladder. A proprietary extract of Chinese herbs-including ginger, licorice, and skullcap-harmonize the action of the other herbs within the formula. Product Review as Follows: "I am using this in conjunction with other supplements to clear up a candida problem. Working well. I will keep this handy for maintenance once things are cleared up."' 2x per day for 8 weeks.

Both of the above with food and Ok at the same time.

These were to wipe out bad yeast in my gut.

To be taken NOT with the above:

Ultra Bifidus DF - A probiotic supplement featuring a specially cultured, highly viable, pure strain of the beneficial bacteria, Bifidobacterium lactis. 1/2 tsp per day

Saccharomyces boulardii - From webMD "Saccharomyces boulardii is called a "probiotic," a friendly organism that helps to fight off disease-causing organisms in the gut such as bacteria and yeast." My dr. explained that it was a replacement for the bad yeast that the above were killing. From the NOW vitamin description. "

Saccharomyces boulardii is a probiotic yeast that survives stomach acid and colonizes the intestinal tract. It promotes the health of the intestinal tract, helps to encourage a healthy gut flora balance.** Saccharomyces boulardii has also been shown to support proper gastrointestinal function during a disruption to the normal balance of gut flora.**

Manufactured by Now Foods." 3x/day

I now just take a maintenance dose of Allimax and Candibactin BR. But I haven't consulted with the Dr on this. It just seemed to me that when I dropped these completely I eventually started getting stomach aches again after eating. When I take them I'm fine will all foods except of course gluten. I ended up not continuing with the UltraBifidus DF or Saccharomyces Boulardii beyond the intial doses largely because I'm lazy and I like the Pearls probiotics and the Enzymedica Digest Spectrum because they are an easier form for me to take. I hope you get your problem cleared up. I wasn't going to accept not being able to eat any dairy, eggs, some meats, some vegetables, some fruits etc. It would have been a very unhealthy and restricted diet long term.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

klk9100 Newbie

Michelle,

That's crazy that you were able to heal! And awesome! I am in such a whirlwind of confusion right now that I don't even know which direction to go in . Since I don't know which foods I'm allergic to, I guess that us what I'm trying to figure out first. I have a long list of potential allergens, but have been avoiding for 2 weeks and my throat is still sore - some mouth itching when eating, mostly fruit. Not eating grains dairy eggs soy and so many others right now so it's hard for me to tell if these would make my mouth itch also. I have been 2 weeks without most of my potentiL allergens so I think I may start adding them back in and see how it goes- 1 at a time.

Did you have any throat issues with your allergies, throat and mouth issues are my only allergy symptoms (left?). I'm really thinking I have eoe.

I will keep your suggestions in mind as I think they may prove very helpful in a little while when I can pinpoint the cause, or when I give up trying.

Did you have any of these throat/mouth/acid symptoms with your allergies? With the eoe - it runs in my family and I feel pretty sure that is part of my problem....

Thanks so much for taking the time to post and try to help me! I appreciate everyone who is putting in their advice and experiences. I really hope these vitamins etc would help.

• 2 weeks later...
klk9100 Newbie

I'm joining this discussion quite late...but original poster, have you considered whether you might be reacting to sulfites? I had tons of increasingly-bad classic allergy symptoms after going gluten free, and it took me months to figure out that the problem was sulfites. I react strongly to naturally-occurring sulfites that are in fermented foods (vinegar, aged cheese and yogurt, even some probiotic blends), as well as sulfites that are actually added as preservatives. Even when I was eating nothing at all with preservatives on the ingredients list, I kept having symptoms. My tongue swelled, I had immediate coughing and throat itching after eating almost anything, etc. It was quite scary. My allergist tested me for dozens of things, but she did not test for sulfites because there's no standardized blood or skin test for it. I have lots of pollen allergies, and also an IgE latex allergy that causes problems with some cross-reacting fruits too, but it turned out that none of that was the major cause of the food allergy symptoms. I've taken Allegra daily for years, and that's helped more than any other antihistimine, but the problem still kept worsening until I finally figured out the cause.

In my case, the reason the allergies worsened so much after going gluten free was that so many gluten free breads and other products contain potato starch flour and/or corn starch. I am fine with real potatoes and corn, but the flours and starches are often sulfited to prevent browning. Since this is a "manufacturing process" rather than an actual ingredient, my understanding is that sulfites don't need to be listed as an ingredient in these cases (at least in the U.S.). Sulfites are also used in processing some tomato and vegetable products (to prevent the equipment from rusting, I believe). You'd never know this from labels alone. And pectin, gelatin, lemon juice from concentrate, and many other products contain hidden sulfites. It was a total revelation when I finally figured this out. Wheat flour is sometimes bleached with sulfites too, but I almost never ate white bread before, so when I suddenly started eating more (gluten-free) bread my daily intake of sulfites increased a lot. That is why my allergy symptoms worsened all of a sudden, even though all my other symptoms were improving.

Maybe this is not your issue at all, but it's worth exploring if you can't figure out another cause. If you can drink wine and eat sulfited dried fruit with no problem, then sulfites probably aren't your issue. But I've always gotten sick from those too, so this solved many mysteries for me.

ok, lets fast forward a few days. i think sulfites are part of my problem , but not sure they are the main issue. i feel wheezy when i eat potato chips (kettle) and unless I'm allergic to potatoes themselves, or something else in the potatoes, this is perhaps a sign. i tried 1 glass of white wine and was able to drink it but didn't feel great afterwards. i also tried 4 dried pears 1 morning and felt a little wheezy, but nothing over the top. the potatoes were by far the worst. i have had pork several times though, and there does not seem to be a strong reaction from pork ingestion, so i am wondering if I'm completely missing something. hmmmm. i've read often salicylates and sulfites go hand in hand. wondering if that is another part of my equation. thanks again for the tip, green beanie. still inconclusive but I'm leaning toward "yes," at least mildly problematic. 

across Contributor

I don't know if this would apply to anyone in this thread, but someone posted some research in another part of this forum that mentioned many celiacs have a nickel allergy, and nickel shows up in a number of foods. Google "foods high in nickel" to learn more.

poneelovesyou Newbie

That sounds alot like leaky gut syndrome. A little particle of some food you ate gets through the gapjunction between epithelial cells and causes an immune response, and all of a suddently that tiny blueberry molecule prompts your body to think it's under attack the next time you eat blueberries. That what it sounds like to me. I dont know much about the treatment or dietary ways of managing leaky gut though...

klk9100 Newbie

I don't know if this would apply to anyone in this thread, but someone posted some research in another part of this forum that mentioned many celiacs have a nickel allergy, and nickel shows up in a number of foods. Google "foods high in nickel" to learn more.

interesting. what are the symptoms of a nickel allergy? everything i see on google talks about "contact dermatitis" rashes etc. all of my symptoms seem to be in my throat and mouth :/

shendler Rookie

Are you allergic to latex by any chance? I ask because all the fruit and vegetables you are allergic are cross over food allergies with latex. I am also allergic to latex and I'm allergic to avacado, banana, tomato, pepper, potato and a bunch of orher fruits and vegetables. Kiwi/banana are two of the four that are highly related to latex allergies. It's not an underlying condition but it explains why you are allergic to what you are allergic to.

Here is a link so you can see the complete list Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

klk9100 Newbie

hey shendler---- thanks for posting! i've been tested for latex allergies….. its negative. I'm not IGE allergic to tomatoes or bananas.  i had a big hive for green pepper, a 1/4 for potato and avocado…. 

i've been able to determine that i am slightly sensitive to sulfites, but that doesn't seem like its my main issue. still feel horrible, and am reacting to basically everything. i thought i had turkey on my good list, but i reacted to that the other day too. 

i definitely react to: 

dark chocolate- not ige

potatoes 1/4 on scratch test

corn*4/4 on scratch test

bananas*- not ige ( wondering if my current reaction is OAS to Ragweed since i have seasonal ragweed and other allergies)

pears*- not ige

i think i react to rice (1/4) too. 

** mouth itching. with the dark chocolate and potatoes its more of a whole body misery MY FEET HURT SO BAD-?!?!. i decided to try some enjoy life crunchy chocolate chip cookies. and it was a really bad choice. my head is throbbing. 

part of my problem is that i am also a hypochondriac. so i think i have everything i read about. and i jump from theory to theory too quickly. but i am thinking of investigating either phenols or oxalates next. 

this food allergy stuff is a special kind of misery….. been at it since june and still haven't gotten far, other than ruling out anything that would show up on a standard blood test,  i guess. the drs don't seem to have much to offer, so it looks like I'm going this one alone (well, with you guys too). i am having a scope to check for eosinophilic esoph. in november. they will also biopsy small intestine. 

shendler Rookie

Maybe just try a food alimination diet and then you can see when you add food to your diet all the foods you react to?

• 3 weeks later...
ivyandwill Rookie

I eat gluten free but also have intolerance to many foods.  I use my gut as a guide.  In terms of actual allergy, so many of the positives can be false so if you were eating them before without trouble, I'd try them again, only do it at a time and day when you can treat yourself should you react.

klk9100 Newbie

I eat gluten free but also have intolerance to many foods.  I use my gut as a guide.  In terms of actual allergy, so many of the positives can be false so if you were eating them before without trouble, I'd try them again, only do it at a time and day when you can treat yourself should you react.

Thanks for your reply!

Since this "issue" has been going on so long i am gradually just eating stuff. i am stubborn about the cream in my morning coffee, but have made several realizations. 

1. ICE CREAM makes me fall asleep. The Breyers All Natural Vanilla Kind, i don't venture far from it, but I'm out like 30 minutes later.

2. This is an Either-OR. Either Paprika OR Beef is problematic. 

3. Almond Thins (Sea Salt) Are bothersome in an itchy-mouth kinda way. 

4. Potatoes(?) When I wasn't eating potatoes I wasn't experiencing the burning mouth and face feeling, but i ate some potato chips yesterday, and BAM its back. 

So, where I am now is:

Celiac- NO GLUTEN

Corn allergy(?) Fritos make me itch.

Potential Lactose intolerance

Sulphite Sensitivity (slight?) 

Problems with tree nuts? or just almonds? 

and Possible night shade issues. 

BAH HUMBUG. 

Someone let me know if they think I'm just missing the mark completely! Because I kinda think I might be. Is this what MCAS is? I read a blog by "The Patient Celiac" (google it) and she says that NSAIDS (aleve***** see my original post) can bring on MCAS. It would certainly be an explanation as to why my body is so out of whack. 

I even broke out in hives on one arm this weekend after petting a horse. 

surely i can't be allergic to EVERYTHING!~

Archived