16 replies to this topic

#16 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:04 AM

Mel, I am so glad that your doctor responded! I don't know how long it takes to get the results back, but it is good that the blood is being drawn right away! From what I understand from others, just getting the doc to do the bloodwork is half of the battle. I hope the results are definitive, so you can know one way or another about your child.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:44 AM

Mat4mel, regarding the blood tests, they usually come back quickly. For example, my blood was drawn Thursday and the results were available by Monday. Rather than wait for an appointment to learn the results, I went to the office and requested a copy from their computers--no problem! A clerk can handle this. You have a right to see these results.

If you do that and need help interpreting what they say before you can talk to the doctor, lots of knowledgable people here can help you.

Also wanted to say re: your 6 year old, that there are gluten-free versions of everything he likes: o-shaped cereals, GOOD tasting gluten-free breads for the pb&j sandwiches (I recommend the gluten-free pantry favorite sandwich bread mix), and wonderful pasta products made from non-gluten-free grains (Tinkyada, DeBoles, and many others). No shortage of ideas on what to eat are available here!

Finally, often people with celiac disease are lactose intolerant at least initially. You might find that you may need to eliminate dairy for a while. (If this is the case, you'll need to consider calcium supplementation.) That is, even gluten-free, some bowel symptoms may continue if lactose is a problem until the villi heal. Note: there are dairy-free cheese products for your son's mac 'n cheese favorite if need be.

Keep us posted! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: