19 replies to this topic

#16 celiachap

celiachap

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

I did what you said and it does make some things larger on here but not what I am typing. Is there a way to make it larger in here????

I often type my postings in WORD, or transfer them from here to there, to do a spell check, etc. You can use any size font, even very large ones (16 and up) in WORD, and the size will be reduced when you transfer it to the message board.
Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Results for 2006 endoscope/biopsy pending.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

Your post about not being 100% gluten-free confused me, so I wasn't sure how to help you out. Are you still eating gluten-containing foods (like mac&cheese, cookies, etc.?) It sounded like you sometimes eat this stuff when your family asks for it. But I wasn't sure.

Thanks

#18 MACE

MACE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

To tell the truth there has been a few times when fixing mac & cheese for the family I have taken a small taste. I keep forgetting to use a different spoon when I stir things while cooking. Last night I decided to fix a roast with fresh potatoes and carrots. Thought that was a safe thing. The problem came about because I like gravey. In stead of making from dripping and flour I thought I will just put some beef broth in with the roast and them thicken with corn starch. Stomach started brothing me so I start wondering why. I knew it could not be the roast, potatoes or carrots. Went and looked again and the beef broth has gluten in it. So can you tell me what you do if you want gravey in something.

#19 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

For the best kind of support...it is a good idea to admit up front that you ate something with gluten in it. Then we know how to respond to your questions. And be up front if you are doing things like using the same spoon to stir your pasta pot and your gluten-free dinner. Then we can give you tips on how to prevent this.

There are lots of great recipes on this board, plus lists of alternative ingredients. If you can't find what you are looking for, then just post a question and ask...like, go to the food section and just ask: what gluten-free product can I use to thicken my gravies? Or, can anyone recommend a good canned broth that is gluten-free? You'll get all sorts of great answers.

Hope this helps!

#20 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

Mary, you will find broth (vegetable or herbal based broth) in the health food store. But even they can contain gluten, so you absolutely must, at all times, read the labels! When I went I found ONE out of four had no gluten (and now I can't even use that one any more, because of salicylates).

I never go to the grocery store without reading glasses any more (I got myself one of those pairs in a little case for that purpose), I carry them in my coat pocket. Of course, I spend a lot of time shopping, which can obviously be a problem for you, too. Fortunately my grocery store has a customer bathroom, you may have to find one that does (or where they'll allow you to use theirs if necessary, you'd have to explain your problem to the manager).

I hope you figure it out!

Ursula
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: