This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jamaica

Rusla

Rusla Enthusiast

I just got back from the beautiful Island of Jamaica. I was accidentally glutened exactly twice and that was during the wedding. That was because during the meal the chicken and the beef were brought out with these funky looking sticks in them as an ornamet and they were pasta sticks twisted and cooked in that position. I was not too sure about the sauce that came with it either. My other glutening was with Air Canada on the way there but problem was solved on the way back.

We all stayed at the Starfish Trelawny outside of Falmouth Jamaica. It is a gorgeous hotel with three pools the rooms are nothing special but then I did not stay in my room much. There is a beautiful beach with an island that has an walkway through the ocean on a sandbar that is only ankle deep. I was impressed with the food each day the buffet was different and if you asked them what was in a sauce or of if the food contained any flour or wheat if they didn't know they would run off and get the answer for you.

I stayed away from all the desserts and just ate the wonderful fresh fruit. I did partake in their ice cream because it has no gluten or wheat in it and no dairy...the coconut ice cream and mango icecream is the best. The ice cream was made from goats milk.

Each night they had different and fun performances and one night is beach party night. That is the night you get to have conch salad, Jerk chicken, pork and swordfish. The jerk chicken and swordfish is aboslutely to die for and next to the resort is the bamboo village where you can buy assorted trinkets, shirts, and marvelous hand made walking sticks and canes. I was at my baggage limit or I would have brought back some walking sticks. Always bargin with them if they tell you $30. you say $5. they will come down and you may get it for $10 or $8. Also if you start walking away they will come after you and really drop their prices. You have to bargin no matter where ever you go, if you don't then they think you are a big chicken. They believe it shows fortitude to be able to bargin well.

The John's Hall tour is a waste of money, at least all of us that did that tour that day thought so. The cool runnings," "Dunns River Falls," "Appleton," tours are all worth while. If you wish to travel to other places you will have to hire a taxi make sure it has red and white license plates and set the price with them before you leave and don't pay till they get you back to the hotel and go up to see Rose Hall which has a great story behind it and you may want to travel to some other places. I will tell you, a week is not enough time to see everything in Jamaica but it was not that difficult staying gluten-free there

In Jamaica it is "yeah Mon" whether you are female or male and it means "yes", Irie Mon means "good" or "wonderful" and you will hear "no problem" a lot too. Those are the three main sayings in Jamaica. Out side of being eaten alive by mosquitos I would definitely go back.

You may be unnerved by their driving at first because they drive fast and close together on very narrow rough roads. But no worries, they are some of the best drivers I have seen. It is a trip worth taking.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jams Explorer

OH MY GOSH!!! You so put me back in a good mood!! I went on a cruise the end of January. We stopped at Ocho Rios. I live in Wisconsin, so the weather there was a NICE break. I am actually sitting here now having a pina colada with Appleton Rum!!! We are supposed to get 6-8 inches of SNOW Thursday. I called my cruise buddy and vented that we need to go back to Jamica!!

My other favorite saying there is "respect". Our taxi driver kept yelling at others or other drivers would yell at ours and they would leave it at "respect". I LOVED that!! I said that was one thing I was bringing back. Just when you get done venting to someone about something stupid they did.... say "respect" and all will be well!! (Okay, maybe not here!)

I am jealous! Glad you had a great time!!

Rusla Enthusiast

I am a person who likes to get away from the touristy things and get into the cultural. Unfortunately the friend I was with only wanted to shop. I think next time I will get my sister to go with me as we like to get into the nitty gritty.

I was heartbroken going from high 90's farenheit to freezing and snow. I was meant to live in the Caribbean.

Archived