18 replies to this topic

#16 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

When I have to eat out at work I opt for places like Red Lobster where I can eat peel and eat shrimp, crab legs or lobster with butter...it's tough to avoid those biscuits though! I have also had them cook a plain chicken breast with plain rice and veggies (no sauce) and I salt and pepper it at the table.

Be careful about rice -- although rice itself is gluten-free, be sure that it's not cooked in chicken broth....make sure it's cooked in water.

From you name, YankeeFan, it seems as if you live in NY. If so, here are some restaurant links: at Silly-Yak.com they have restaurants that are or accomodate to gluten-free eaters in NYC:

GLUTEN FREE IN NYC!
The restaurants listed below have been known to have items that are appropriate for a gluten-free diet with intelligent and helpful staffs, but please note that menus, chefs and staff are subject to change - and questions must still be asked.
Enjoy!

RESTAURANTS AND BAKERIES:

These recommended restaurants are part of the Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program
***Risotteria 270 Bleecker St. (near John's Pizzeria) 212-924-6664
***Gus' Place149 Waverly Place (6th Ave.) 212-645-8511
***BEST ON LONG ISLAND! Caffee Baldo (Italian and Gluten Free) 2849 Jerusalem Ave, Wantaugh 516-22-22ZZ
***American Park at the Battery (across from 17 State Street) Phone: 212-809-5508
www.americanpark.com

Joseph's Gluten Free Bakery, 1712 Ave M Brooklyn, (718) 336-9494=20
www.joesephsorganic.com
Gabriel's Dessert Boutique, 941 Manor Road, Staten Island, NY (718) 477-1414. Wide variety of gluten-free pastries, bread & pizza dough.
Sacred Chow - Hip and Vegan, 522 Hudson Street (212) 337-0863. Fabulous gluten-free brownies, cookies, and energy bars.
www.sacredchow.com
ANGELICAS - Best organic restaraunt in the city! (house dressing is gluten-free) 300 E. 12th St. (bet 2nd & 3rd Ave) 212-228-2909
BROOKLYN DINER (pricey but very good) on 57th St just west of 7th Ave.
COFFEE SHOP on Union Sq. W. & 16th St. They have Brazilian Cheese Bread, which is made with tapioca flour.
BRIGHT FOOD SHOP (Mexican dinner, fun atmosphere) 216 8th Ave @ 21 St
IPANEMA PLATFORMA (Brazilian BBQ) (57th St/btwn 8 and 9th Ave) all you can eat flat rate. Pricey but worth it!!!
AVRA - whole fish - 141 E 48 St
BELMONDO 98 Ave B (steaks) French bistro 358-1166
LUCIEN - filet mignon - (1st and 1st )
OTHER FOODS - 12th (betw B'way & Univ)
ROSE OF BOMBAY (Indian) 326 E 6th St. gluten-free menu
DRUIDs - 307-6419 ? filet mignon - 736 10th Ave (50 & 51)
STARDUST DINER - 52 & 7th - burger or Philly steak sandwich w/out bread
SPRING STREET NATURAL Spring and Lafayette
PEASANT - (Nolita) grilled fish, etc. Everything roasted on open flame. 194 Eizabeth St (Prince & Spring) 212-965-9511
OYSTER BAR - 42nd St and Vanderbuilt (GRAND CTRAL TERMINAL) 212-490-6650
LE TABLEAU - 5th betw A & B - steak au pauvre
EL QUIXOTE - 23rd & 7th - steak / lobster
NEW DELHI INDIAN - tell waiter gluten-free - 120 Lex near 28th - 212-725-3215
EAST VILLAGE THAI REST (gluten-free thai curry ? request "Marys fish sauce") 32 E 7th St (betw 2 & 3rd)
LUNNEYS REST - 46th off Bway ? has celiac waitresses
BROOKLYN DINER - W 57th St (W of Bway) hamburger and steam veg
VESUVIO (Bleeker bet 6th & 7th)
KATZS DELI (brisket and turkey have no added sugars or vinegar) Houston betw 1st and 2nd Ave
Suen - 13th (Univ. & 5th) - (good organic) broiled fish and veg. Great kale /squash. Ask for no sauces. Also sushi.
M&R Elizabeth betw Houston & Prince -roast chicken: $15. Side order of veggies -huge
MARE- seafood ($18-20) / live lobster/oysters - 8th & 20th. (lots of restaurants nearby)
THE DISH - Diner - nice, dark atmosphere, cheap burgers (8th and 20th St)
Centro Vasco - Spanish - lobster fresh daily - 159 W 23 (6th & 7th)
FOOD MARKETS:

WHOLE FOODS on 7th Ave and 24th St. Excellent produce. Lots of gluten-free products. Foods by George Gluten free products in the bread section.
WESTERLY HEALTH FOODS 911- 913 Eighth Ave. @ 54th St.
Commodities Organic market - 1st Ave betw 10th and 11th St.
Prana - small organic market - good produce - 125 1st Ave (6th & 7th)
Healthy Pleasures - organic supermarket w/ meat/fish, vitamins - 10th & University.

If you don't live in New York, you can check for resturants in your area at http://glutenfreerestaurants.org. You said that you prefer to eat out, so I thought this might be helpful. I personally dislike eating out, so I haven't really consulted these lists and can't offer any advice....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dianne

dianne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:50 PM

Yankeefan,

I don't cook much either. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? You can check their website for locations. They have a list of gluten-free foods available at their stores, and on their website. There are some frozen rice bowls, which you can heat in the microwave. Also, some boxed meals by Tasty Bite, which you can easily heat up in the microwave. I like the frozen tamales, too. As you can tell, I'm not very ambitious! :lol: Good luck.

Dianne

#18 cybergran10

cybergran10

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:59 AM

I've been doing this Gluten free diet for awhile now. Everyone has had some wonderful suggestions. When I am not low carbing I llke to take gluten free pasta and do a stir fry and add the pasta. You can add a gluten free sauce and you have a complete meal. Or chilli is always good. I only cook glutenfree so it's been awhile since my hubby has had any gluten, only when we eat out. At a restaurant if I'm not sure of the menu I order A chefs salad. Of course I'm probably not the one to answer your delimma on what to cook because I am an ex chef and cooking doesn't bother me. It's always nice to know what other people do when we have those days that we just don't seem to have enough time to prepare a proper meal. I found some really great helpful information. The only thing I will say is this (I guess I feel compelled to state the obvious) that staying gluten free is essential for us because our lives may depend on it. We cannot digest the protein found in gluten and it plays havoc with our villi, not to mention alot of other things. So please try to find a way to stick with the diet for your own health and well being. Back in 93 and 94 I was angry and decided that I was going to eat what I wanted anyway. It wasn't fair that everyone else could eat anything they wanted and I couldn't. It took a hospital stay, and a lecture from my doctor and dietitian to make me see the light. So don't do what I did, the diet is essential. I'm thru lecturing sorry :( :( I just shiver everytime I hear of someone not adhereing to the diet because I know how sick you can get. Have a great day Cybergran10

#19 YankeeFan

YankeeFan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:08 PM

From you name, YankeeFan, it seems as if you live in NY. If so, here are some restaurant links: at Silly-Yak.com they have restaurants that are or accomodate to gluten-free eaters in NYC:

yup...i'm in NY.

30 min. from NYC.

i added those sites to my favorites.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: