Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

961 replies to this topic

#31 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hi everyone,

The weather is great down here (Victoria), spring is just around the corner.

I've bought three gluten free cookbooks and I am trying recipes from all of them. - Changing Habits Changing Lives, Wheat-Free World and Gluten-Free Baking Classics. Some of my attempts are ending up in the bin, but that can happen with any new recipe. The only problem I am having with the Gluten-Free Classic is that I can't source the Sorghum Flour. Apparently in Australia Sorghum is our third highest producing grain crop but we feed it to the cows and don't mill it as flour. I am also having trouble finding Millet Flakes - apparently there is a shortage. Anyway I am trying Amaranth Flour instead of Sorghum and we will see what happens.

I have been cooking low-fat for so long that it is hard to convince myself that putting oil in a bread mix is a good thing, but I am finding that the food that does turn out OK is more tasty than it's gluten counterpart.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Kaycee

Kaycee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

Oh and Cathy, to be honest, I've given up on the whole McD's thing, if you want takeaways, hell pizza do a gluten free base, just watch what toppings you get.

Tee
I know what you mean about the mcd's thing. It was my first salad for 8 months. Sometimes I just want to be able to do the eat out thing that the hubby and sons are doing, instead of sitting there looking into thin air. I thought the simpler the better, but I was wrong. That will be my last one there. Next time I will keep shopping while they eat. I did think of hell's pizza once, but I am still a bit scared of food, and I do need to loose a bit more weight. I will get there one day.
cathy

#33 westie

westie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:01 AM

Hi there
I am in Auckland, are you NZ guys aware of www.mfd.co.nz, I found it really useful when we first arrived here from the UK as the products are so different!!! well the ingredients are anyway!

#34 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

Westie, thanks for that, I am well aware of the mfd site. When I joined the coeliac society here in nz, they put me onto it. It was my bible to start with, but now, I only go there occassionally, as the labelling of food is quite good here. How does it compare to England?
Another site I used to go all the time was http://foodadditives.org.nz/, it has all the lists of food additives etc, and how safe they are and what they can cause eg cancer. There are some items that they tell for coeliacs to avoid. It is a bit scary. Som of the additives we have here, like 123 (red) is banned in the united states. So why do they put it in our food here?
I agree different places, same food different ingredients.
Like the mm's in America, I think they are gluten free, but here I think they have wheat glucose in them. Some say that is fine, but I am being so careful, I avoid that. I think if I knew they were okay, I would eat more, so it is probably better this way, not eating them.
Hay a great day, wasn't it wonderful yesterday, got all my garden weeded!
Cathy

#35 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:02 AM

Hello y'all!
i hope everyone had a great weekend for fathers day! i've just put a belated fathers day roast pork in the oven, i've never cooked one before with proper crackling and whatnot so i'm hoping it turns out ok :)

I made delicious brownies the other day from a recipe in the AIA (australian institute for autism) gluten and dairy free cook book, its got some great recipes which all tell you what they are free from (like dairy free, egg free etc). Irrisistables for the irritable is a great book too, its got some delicious meal ideas as well as baking treats, i can eat a whole batch of chocolate shortbread in one sitting, no wonder i've put on a few kilos!

i'd love to hear more about the products and ingredients in the UK too westie, i'm heading there for a holiday at the end of the year and am a little scared about surviving gluten free...i did read that milkyway milkshakes are gluten free so thats always good lol :)

Thats worrying about additives being banned in other countries but are used here, i wonder why they're allowed to use them? i know aspartame is banned in some countries too but is in heaps of things here, i always avoid it because my mum started getting brain fog type reactions from it when she chewed gum everyday. This website: www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info has great info on the nasty food additives in aussie and new zealand food, if you scroll down there are blue buttons and one gives a list of additives to avoid, really interesting site!

Ruth, how did the baking turn out? did substituting the sorghum flour with amaranth work ok?

Kaycee, whats it like working in a library, i've always wanted to work in one but there just arent any jobs unless you're qualified as a library technician....not sure i'd be any good at reading stories to kiddies though :ph34r: I hope you're system has recovered from the soy and glutening!

i went to the dietician on thursday about all the strange food related symptoms i've been having, she thinks it could be from histamine releasing foods and is sending me a booklet on the elimination diet which i will start as soon as it arrives. i've started to avoid the foods she suspected and am already feeling better, i think it might also be histamine rich foods that mess with me. i even went on the exercise bike today! :D

i hope everyone has a great symptom free week! :)
Peggy from Brisbane, Australia
28 years old

>Gluten Free since December 2005
>Salicylate Sensitive (elimination diet, October 2006)
>HLA-DQ2 gene (tested June 2007)
>Soy Free, Coconut Free 2010
>IgG tested 2011, now also Egg Free, Chicken Free, Garlic Free
>Leaky Gut Syndrome confirmed 2011
>Dairy Light

#36 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:58 AM

Hi Aussie and Kiwi peeps...I have a question....

In the US oats are off limits because they are all known to be contaminated with wheat. Is that the case in Australia? Just curious...

Oh and food additives in general are evil IMO, but trust me, it's waayyy worse in the US.

B)
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#37 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:49 AM

Cross contamination is the big problem with oats. I did find some biodynamic oats that were supposed to have been milled in an oats-only environment but I wasn't willing to risk it (I don't like oats that much anyway).

#38 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Mango,
There seems to be debate about oats here too in kiwiland. I will not risk it, they just scare me.
I have discovered rice porridge, and it is yummy.

Peg, working in a library is awesome.
I worked my way up there, one minute I was cleaning the floors and now I am in the library, and loving it. Watch out principal, I might be after his job!
I am not qualified, but I spend my days there putting the books onto the system etc. I do not read to the children, as their teachers do that, and they do a wonderful job. It is never boring.
Yes Peg, I am coming right, it is a battle to say the least. Sometimes it feels like two steps forward and one back.The more basic the food, the better.
Wasn't that a shame about Steve Irwin. It put the whole of the family into shock. Poor guy and poor wife and kids

Cathy

#39 westie

westie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:05 AM

Westie, thanks for that, I am well aware of the mfd site. When I joined the coeliac society here in nz, they put me onto it. It was my bible to start with, but now, I only go there occassionally, as the labelling of food is quite good here. How does it compare to England?
Another site I used to go all the time was http://foodadditives.org.nz/, it has all the lists of food additives etc, and how safe they are and what they can cause eg cancer. There are some items that they tell for coeliacs to avoid. It is a bit scary. Som of the additives we have here, like 123 (red) is banned in the united states. So why do they put it in our food here?
I agree different places, same food different ingredients.
Like the mm's in America, I think they are gluten free, but here I think they have wheat glucose in them. Some say that is fine, but I am being so careful, I avoid that. I think if I knew they were okay, I would eat more, so it is probably better this way, not eating them.
Hay a great day, wasn't it wonderful yesterday, got all my garden weeded!
Cathy

Hi
Yes to the lovely weather, I hope summer is on the way, 1st for us can't wait!!
The labelling in the UK was great, really easy, as from late last year every product had to be labelled as containing gluten, or gluten free, so no more searching on each product!
I guess I am just getting used to the labelling here, and yes things like m&m's were gluten-free in england, along with much more that is not gluten-free here, but I'm getting there slowly!

#40 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

New Zealand and Australia manufacturers are meant to to show whether food contains gluten, and all the other common intolerances or allergens. But I don't think it always does, as I have been caught out. So I still read the labels. If I am in doubt I will not touch it. Flavourings and colourings tend to be my biggest concerns.
Lovely weather has gone and quite misty this morning.
Got to smile and put on my best dress as there are school photos today. I hate them.
Cathy

#41 lisawil

lisawil

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:06 AM

Hi all, I'm on the Gold Coast, and haven't visited this site for ages. Don't know whether this will post in time or be read in time - but there is a GLUTEN FREE EXPO in Brisbane Tomorrow!! Sat 9th Sept. Its at the Mercure Hotel, North Quay, Brisbane city. The Coeliac Society are having their AGM first at 9am, then the expo is from 10am until 2pm. Should be lots of great things i would think. I'm hoping that Rocco Sorrelle will be there - they are a restaurant on the Sunshine Coast that also sell the BEST pasta and pizza bases that i have ever had. Are you guys also aware that Muffin Break also now do gluten free muffins? They usually have a couple of different types, and they usually vary each day. I believe all the stores will have them. They taste GREAT!
Will try and keep up with the site for a while
Lisa :blink:

#42 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

At the beginning of the week Steve Irwin died, and now , yesterday I heard that Peter Brock has died. It is so mind boggling and shocking.
Two famous Australians in one week, it would make you worried to be a famous Asustralian. Lets hope bad luck does not run in threes.
Cathy

#43 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:44 PM

I grew up watching Peter Brock drive, I never thought he would be killed in a race - can't even remember him having a bad accident. I guess even Peter Perfect had his limits - a very sad end to an era.

#44 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:36 AM

WHHHHHHOOOOOO!

I'm so happy I found this section, I only found these forums a few days ago and here I was thinking I was the only Aussie, but wouldn't ya know there are even some Queenslanders on here.!

I've been finding it a bit of a struggle at the moment, I am not very sensitive and have to eat a fair bit to get any symptoms, so for the last four years I have been eating more and more ot the point where I have been eating far to much. :unsure:

Not been super sensitive I don't coun't something like vegemite on a biscuit.( provided the biscuit is ok to eat of course)

Has any one tired the muffins from muffin break? They are awsome! Jamaca blue also do sandwiches on gluten-free bread (and don't charge extra!)

I tired the Woolworths pizza base the other day and it was nice enough that I will def have it again. Also the Wollies gluten-free version of Tim Tams are good. I also like Eskal pretzals and the Lemon wafers you get are just great.

Products from the gluten free bakery are good, there Nenish tarts is something I really like.

Has anyone tired the Basco self saucing pudding? If so is as good as there other stuff?

Also be Wary of birds eye oven roast potatoe, I bought some garlic and rosemary ones the other day and didn't bother to read the ingredients (yes I realise thats my fault but thats the last thing I was expecting to be bad) anyway they have wheat in them.

#45 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hello Saz,
Glad you could find us.
Just a note about the oven roast pototoes, I don't think we get these here in NZ, but on a similar vein, quite a few frozen chip varities have flour in them. I find that totally appalling, as I can not order chips from the fish and chip shop, and if I want to make oven fries, there are only a couple of brands I can have. They are never quite the same, expecially if I have to put the work into cooking them!

Did I hear you right and you said there were gluten free Tim Tams? Would only happen in Australia, mainly cause I am not there. Next time I go over to visit my sons, I will bring back 20 kilos of gluten-free tim tams. Wonderful, they might eventually sell them here, as they sell nearly every other arnot biscuit.
Since Arnott's is Austrailan owned, do you know if their rice cakes/biscuits with the whole in them are gluten free? There has been a bit of an argument over here in one of the forums about them not being gluten free anymore, but I can't see anything on the packet that would suggest gluten. I am confused.
Hope to see you again.
Cathy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: