6 replies to this topic

#1 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:57 PM

Im clincally dx but im on gluten for a few months to get a biospy.Latey ive gotten this sore throat well its not sore it just feels swollen like its closed over.It feels so werid to swallow and its really freaky and scary .My dad said its all red were going to make an appointment with the doc ,hes no good(when i spraint my hand in 2 spots he told me to put a mitten on!)I mite go to the out door tonight but i was just wondering could the gluten be doing this did this ever happen to any of you ?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:28 PM

You could have an allergy to gluten as well as celiac disease, I dunno but with allergies your throat swells up. You could also have Strep tghrouat
Molly

#3 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:10 AM

Have you had your thyroid tested? Could be that, I know that is one of the things they say could be a sign of hypothyroid....get it checked, it's a simple blood test.

Bridget

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:13 AM

Doesn't sound celiac related to me.

richard

#5 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:07 AM

Boojca no I have not had my thyroid tested. I went to the out door last night and after waiting for 10:30 to 1:30 I finally got it .The doctor was half asleep but he looked at it i never told him about celiac or anything he just said he thinking its probly a throat infection or strep throat and told me to come back another day if it gets worse lol.Mom thinks the vomiting is doing it but I dunno thanks for your replys

#6 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:12 AM

I have had the same symptom as you, feeling like there is a lump in my throat and I can't seem to swallow it down. Also, my throat burns. Attached is a copy of symptoms listed on Celiac.com, and it includes the throat.....

What are the symptoms of celiac disease?

There is no typical celiac. Individuals range from having no symptoms (asymptomatic or "latent" forms of the disease) to extreme cases where patients present to their physicians with gas, bloating, diarrhea, and weight loss due to malabsorption.

In between these two extremes lie a wide variety of symptoms that include:

Diarrhea
Constipation
Steatorrhea (fatty stools that float rather than sink)
Abdominal pain
Excessive gas
Any problem associated with vitamin deficiencies
Iron deficiency (anemia)
Chronic fatigue
Weakness
Weight loss
Bone pain
Easily fractured bones
Abnormal or impaired skin sensation (paresthesia),
Including burning, prickling, itching or tingling
Edema
Headaches*
Peripheral Neuropathy* (tingling in fingers and toes)

Individuals have reported such varied symptoms as:

White flecks on the fingernails
Fuzzy-mindedness after gluten ingestion
Burning sensations in the throat

Usually, when I get the throat constriction feeling, I also get the pain in my flanks in the back, just below my shoulder blades...... It is a scary feeling.....

Hope this helps....
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#7 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:38 AM

Also, below is a post that I have copied and pasted (I don't know how to do the quote stuff here yet!!!), but it also mentions the throat.....

This is a post from Lily on this forum:

There are so many symptoms, but of course everyone is different. I have lots of joint pain, huge mood swings (I'll feel happy one minute and the next like I could cry my eyes out for no reason). When the contamination is at it's worst, I get terrible migraines and can't function. I have acid reflux when my duodenum swells up, it pushes on my ribs and gives me back pain as well. Not to mention the normal bloating, gassiness, diarrhea and sometimes constipation. I also have trouble swallowing like there is a lump in my throat. I wake up many mornings like I have a hangover, however I don't drink! Hope this helps you

Lily

I hope Lily didn't mind that I copied the post and moved it over here - just wanted to show you there are celiacs with this symptom....

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: