34 replies to this topic

#31 farmgirl12

farmgirl12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

here is a list, and you can also find several post on this web site just by googling things like- are neutrogena prodducts gluten free?
How to Find Gluten Free Makeup
By brantsbabe, eHow Member
I want to do this! What's This?
User-Submitted Article
If you're gluten intolerant and have skin problems to accompany this condition, like dermatitis herpeteformis, hives, or eczema, you need to make sure your makeup is gluten free. I've done the research for you. Here's some good gluten free makeup choices.
Difficulty: EasyInstructions
1Take a Good Look in Your Makeup Bag!

Using the ingredient list below, check all of your current makeup for the ingredients listed. If you no longer have the packaging do an online search at a drugstore. Throw out products that have gluten, and start over. (if you don't have skin problems associated with gluten, you can decide whether or not to replace face products. Lipstick or anything that could get in your mouth, however, should be gluten free)

2Know What Cosmetic Ingredients Include Gluten:
Here are some ingredients you might find in cosmetics that could indicate wheat or gluten:

hyrolyzed malt extract
hydrolyzed wheat protein
hydrolyzed vegetable protein
wheat germ
vitamin e
cyclodextrin
barley extract
fermented grain extract
oat (avena sativa)
stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl
samino peptide complex
phytosphingosine extract
triticum vulgare
dextrin
dextrin palmitate
maltodextrin
Secale Cereale
Sodium C8-16 Isoalkylsuccinyl Wheat Protein Sulfonate
yeast extract
anything with wheat in the name

3Try Some of These Brands:

Try Smashbox
This line of cosmetics is mostly gluten free. Many people with gluten
intolerance issues use this brand. Sephora has mostly gluten free items
too.

Check Out Avon
Avon has an extensive list of gluten free makeup, and it's not expensive. Here is a link to a list of Avon products that are gluten free.

Try Neutrogena
Neutrogena is a great choice for gluten free makeup, and it's pretty cheap too. You can find Neutrogena products at any drug store. See resources below for some gluten free makeup choices from Neutrogena:

Afterglow Cosmetics
The entire line is gluten free. It is supposedly a line of makeup produced by someone with Celiac disease. The extra bonus is that it's cornstarch free too. This is a mineral makeup. If you like minerals, you'll love this brand. It's a bit more expensive than drugstore brands, but worth it if it helps your skin.

I think thats enough if you are cautious enough to not put gluten inside of you, then you should be cautious enough to put it on the outside of you.

I love neutrogena, and I really like the t-sal, t-fal, shampoo and conditioner. Plus the rainbath etc. If you have irritations that are not quite sores--say under your arms, the body oil is great--I used this for quite awhile cause I couldn't use deoderant--it was awesome. The makeup is great also.
Also, Gain is a good laundry soap. You can get both of these products at Costco as well as Wall mart and not have to pay through the nose :-)
that's my two cents--hope it helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 CaylumandJoshua

CaylumandJoshua

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Hi Mona--welcome to the board! :)

Dove will clearly list any gluten, so you're ok there. In addition to gluten-free products, I also choose products without SLS or other harsh detergents whenever possible. I don't have DH, but I do get itching and eczema.

Some good products to look for--ShiKai Shampoo and Conditioner, Kiss My Face Olive Oil Bar Soap, Jason Showersilk Liquid shower soap--those are free of SLS.

Other brands that are gluten-free--Softsoap, Purex Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent, All Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent.

Thanks for this! I am making sure everything is gluten-free in the house because my poor 2 yr old just got the celiac confirmation with dh! Im getting some free & clear tonight. ;)
1/26/2012 - 2 Yr. Old Son Diagnosed w/Celiac and multiple food allergies [wheat, soy, cow's milk, casein, all nuts, eggs, oregano, corn].

1/26/2012 - Diagnosed Celiac w/multiple food allergies [barley, milk, nuts, beef, chicken, fish]

#33 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for this! I am making sure everything is gluten-free in the house because my poor 2 yr old just got the celiac confirmation with dh! Im getting some free & clear tonight. ;)

This post is over 5 years old.

You need to re- check all this info if its important to you as ingredients and products change.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#34 1SweetP

1SweetP

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I know that there is a lot of people on here who will scream at me for saying this but here goes...

Unless you are eating the soap/shampoo/ect.. You can use whatever you want. DH is caused by antibodies getting attached to gluten proteins in the bloodstream via the digestive track (vie eating/drinking). After these antibodies attach themselves to the gluten protein, this "attachment" gets trapped in the smaller capillaries in the body (just below the skin surface. Thus, causing a herpetiformis rash.

The gluten protein MUST enter the bloodstream to cause this reaction. There are only 2 ways that this will happen!
1. put gluten into your stomach.
2. have a cut on your skin, and rub/pour/insert the gluten protein into it.

Unless you are dealing with open head wounds/ or skin tears on the body. The type of shampoo you use should not exacerbate any DH symptoms.

If you need some peer reviewed journals/studies on this topic. I will be happy to provide for you. Just send me an e-mail

Good Luck. Brizzo

I do not agree with you, Brizzo. Befoe my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac, she had these horrible sores on her skin and was very sick. Once she was diagnosed, we changed her diet and she became healthy, but still had these sores. As I did more research, I started taking out every shampoo, hair product, soap, laundry detergent, hand cream, make-up, etc that goes on her skin and contains gluten. Once I removed all of the things that get on the skin and contain gluten, the sores started to go away. Anytime she inadvertently uses a lotion or something that contains gluten, the sores reappear and when she stops the sores go away. I also know several others who have experienced the same thing. My daughter's Immunologist also agrees that the gluten is the culprit to her sores!

#35 brandiecane

brandiecane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Whew, this is quite a debate on here about using gluten-free skin products! I can absolutely ONLY use gluten-free lotions. If not, it's a nightmare. Knowing that makes me use gluten-free body wash just to be safe. I'm probably being overly paranoid but holy smokes it is so worth it in order to avoid a flare up! I get gluten-free body care products from Whole Foods. I buy the "Ëveryone" brand (it's cheap and lasts a long time). I just use regular shampoos and other stuff though without any problems.

Random, but one thing I have tried lately that REALLY soothes the itchies is straight organic Coconut Oil. I'm sure everyone on here already knows that but I'm a newbie and no DH peeps ever told me to try coconut oil so I want to pass that along in hopes I can help someone out! Also, I add apple cider vinegar to my bath when I sense a flare up coming on. It helps too :)

Brandiecane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: