This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Had The Best Conversation With The Daycare Director !

Mamato2boys

Mamato2boys Contributor

I've really been dreading talking to the daycare about getting glutened from play-doh, paints, etc.

I found some information on this site that I thought the daycare would find helpful, so I printed up an information packet and brought it in. They've had a few questions about Ryan's gluten sensitivity, so I figured it would be helpful if they had clear, concise information they could refer to at any time. On Thursday I went in to pick up my boys after work, and the director happened to be right there, so I asked if she had seen what I handed in and she said "yes, I read it today and it really helps a lot. If there's anything we can do to try to make things easier, please don't hesitate to let us know." I saw that as my opportunity to broach the subject. I was honest with her and told her I was uncomfortable mentioning it because I was afraid it would make me look like a zealot, but that everything I've been reading shows that those items could potentially be a problem. She was very nice and very receptive, and asked what they could do to help. So I mentioned my providing gluten-free play-doh & paints to be kept in the room for him, and she said "oh absolutely - that's not a problem at all." Then she told me that she totally understood how I felt, because apparently her son is having real problems with ADHD despite being on medication, so she took him in to be re-evaluated. Her husband was saying things like "maybe this is just how he is, and you're just not accepting him." She told him that her gut was saying something was still off, and that as his mother she felt she had to pursue it. I had the SAME conversation with my husband several times. Even though her son's issues are different than mine, she was still saying the very same things that I had said, and had thought the very same things I thought while searching for an answer. I walked away feeling SO much better.

Then on Friday Ryan brought home an art project made with Crispix cereal. :angry:

I don't think the director knew. Looks like I'm going to have to be more proactive and put together an art bin with safe stuff for Ryan to use, and then sit down with her and instruct her on how to avoid cross-contamination. I still feel good about my conversation with her. It gives me a little hope that we can somehow navigate this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I'm glad the director is receptive, rather than making you feel like a pain. But I am sure it was frustrating to see the Crispix project! I guess it will take some time. But don't let it go when this happens, because otherwise they'll feel the Crispix were fine, while they were not.

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

I can totally emphathize with you about thinking the school was "getting it" and then having an art project come home. Luke's was various pasta (not Crispix) but the same idea. I know it wasn't gluten free. Every time I talk to his teacher she acts like she understands--I guess her mom was gluten-free for awhile but I am thinking they probably weren't as strict. I hope things improve at daycare. :) Kendra

shayesmom Rookie
On Thursday I went in to pick up my boys after work, and the director happened to be right there, so I asked if she had seen what I handed in and she said "yes, I read it today and it really helps a lot. If there's anything we can do to try to make things easier, please don't hesitate to let us know." I saw that as my opportunity to broach the subject. I was honest with her and told her I was uncomfortable mentioning it because I was afraid it would make me look like a zealot, but that everything I've been reading shows that those items could potentially be a problem. She was very nice and very receptive, and asked what they could do to help. So I mentioned my providing gluten-free play-doh & paints to be kept in the room for him, and she said "oh absolutely - that's not a problem at all." Then she told me that she totally understood how I felt, because apparently her son is having real problems with ADHD despite being on medication, so she took him in to be re-evaluated. Her husband was saying things like "maybe this is just how he is, and you're just not accepting him." She told him that her gut was saying something was still off, and that as his mother she felt she had to pursue it. I had the SAME conversation with my husband several times. Even though her son's issues are different than mine, she was still saying the very same things that I had said, and had thought the very same things I thought while searching for an answer. I walked away feeling SO much better.

Then on Friday Ryan brought home an art project made with Crispix cereal. :angry:

I don't think the director knew. Looks like I'm going to have to be more proactive and put together an art bin with safe stuff for Ryan to use, and then sit down with her and instruct her on how to avoid cross-contamination. I still feel good about my conversation with her. It gives me a little hope that we can somehow navigate this.

I'm sorry that Crispix found its way into Ryan's hands! It's sad to say, but I've pretty much resigned myself to having to spend 2 months educating the teaching staff on Celiac and food allergies. Uggh! Such a pain. But what else can you do when life in a bubble is not a reasonable option? :P

The best advice that I can offer you is to be as proactive as humanly possible and don't let these kind of things slide. It's not going to hurt any of them to learn about gluten intolerance and how it needs to be avoided. In fact, it may be in their best interest to learn about it NOW.....especially since the gluten intolerant population is constantly and rapidly growing. This isn't something that is isolated to Ryan. And if you get really ambitious, you may want to mention to the director that ADHD is also common amongst the gluten sensitive population. If the meds aren't working, it's worth looking into the dietary route.

Do you have parent teacher conferences where you can bring up your concerns and possibly address all of this in a more clear-cut fashion? I know that with Shaye's teacher, we've had several phone conversations and meetings to go over how to deal with the multiple allergies and gluten issue. I basically made up a list of concerns, potential problems and had let them know that they could call me any time with questions. I also made sure that they were very clear on the fact that I wanted to help out in any way that I possibly could....be it snacks or providing special soap or craft items for the class. They've done fairly well so far, but the first month or two....AYE CARUMBA! Gluten, soy, dairy and eggs everywhere! lol! What a mess!

Mamato2boys Contributor
Do you have parent teacher conferences where you can bring up your concerns and possibly address all of this in a more clear-cut fashion?

No, not formal ones anyway. Anytime I need to meet with them I can just call and arrange it (which I've done in the past). What I'm getting ready to do is make up an activity box to be kept in Ryan's classroom - in it will be gluten-free play-doh, paint, pasta. On the lid I was going to type up some instructions on how he's to be handled and tape it on there, and hand in a copy to the director.

zachsmom Enthusiast
I can totally emphathize with you about thinking the school was "getting it" and then having an art project come home. Luke's was various pasta (not Crispix) but the same idea. I know it wasn't gluten free. Every time I talk to his teacher she acts like she understands--I guess her mom was gluten-free for awhile but I am thinking they probably weren't as strict. I hope things improve at daycare. :) Kendra

I think that the teachers do not even think about HAND to face or just skin contamination ... JUST touching gluten products ... even soaps... is the soap in the schools ... day care... gluten free.

Archived