Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How Long Do Your Symptoms Last?

4 posts in this topic

My celiac hubby was glutened a week before Christmas.

He still has the diarrhoea. As prior to being gluten-free he rarely had any gut problems, we are struggling to understand why he gets this, and also why it is lasting so long.

Is having D for this long 'normal' when people get glutened?

We also cannot work out how long it takes for symptoms to appear if he is glutened, let alone work out where the gluten comes from!

Ads by Google:

It takes me about 3 weeks to feel 100% again. I do feel better and better during that time. For me the D usually goes away in a few days but I get bad heartburn and that is usually one of the last symptoms to go.

Are you sure that he isn't getting any gluten? Is there anything else he is sensitive to?

I don't think that any two people have the same exact symptoms so there is no "average" of how long it will take to get better. Many people get more sensitive after going on the diet, so that may be part of his issue. Hope he feels better soon.

I glutened myself on Sunday. It wasn't accidental - it was just stupid :lol: I had D about 6 hours later, and 2 days later still feel ill, and have incredible bloat and constipation. Is that normal? :(

The effects of being glutened can last anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks. I usually feel better within 3 days, but everyone is different. If you are concerned about the length of time or severity of the reaction, double check to make sure that you are not inadvertently ingesting any gluten.

-Brian