3 replies to this topic

#1 Shiba

Shiba

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

My celiac hubby was glutened a week before Christmas.
He still has the diarrhoea. As prior to being gluten-free he rarely had any gut problems, we are struggling to understand why he gets this, and also why it is lasting so long.
Is having D for this long 'normal' when people get glutened?

We also cannot work out how long it takes for symptoms to appear if he is glutened, let alone work out where the gluten comes from!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:05 AM

It takes me about 3 weeks to feel 100% again. I do feel better and better during that time. For me the D usually goes away in a few days but I get bad heartburn and that is usually one of the last symptoms to go.

Are you sure that he isn't getting any gluten? Is there anything else he is sensitive to?

I don't think that any two people have the same exact symptoms so there is no "average" of how long it will take to get better. Many people get more sensitive after going on the diet, so that may be part of his issue. Hope he feels better soon.

#3 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

I glutened myself on Sunday. It wasn't accidental - it was just stupid :lol: I had D about 6 hours later, and 2 days later still feel ill, and have incredible bloat and constipation. Is that normal? :(

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#4 GlutenWrangler

GlutenWrangler

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

The effects of being glutened can last anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks. I usually feel better within 3 days, but everyone is different. If you are concerned about the length of time or severity of the reaction, double check to make sure that you are not inadvertently ingesting any gluten.

-Brian
Celiac Sprue
Multiple Food Allergies
Diagnosed June 2006
Stopped Eating June 2007
IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: