Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Support Groups

4 posts in this topic

Hi all of you courageous people!

I am considering to start my own support group but I thought it best to get feedback from others before I finalized my decision.

I would appreciate your input on support groups for people with gluten and/or casein sensitivity.

Thank You!

Ads by Google:

My local celiac support group helped me sooooo much to learn about celiac disease, safe and unsafe foods, celiac friendly resturants, as well as meet supportive friends. When I first discovered I had celiac disease our group leader often listened to my frantic calls and emails (when I was confused and scared about 'slips') and reassured me that I would eventually learn the gluten-free approach and get healthy. Now I have the opportunity to give other 'newbees' to our group helpful information and encouragement.

If you want to start your own group, considering contacting www.gluten.net for the Gluten Intolerance Group local office in your area or www.csaceliacs.org for the local chapter of the Celiac Sprue Association. One or both of those organizations may give you support and information about starting your own local celiac group.

Although I don't lead my local celiac disease support group, I keep our membership roster and handle publicity for our meetings and correspond with gluten-free product companies to obtain free samples of their products for our group meetings. I have facilitated other 'eating habit' groups at my church, so I'm experienced in leading groups. Feel free to write me at penguinea@hotmail.com for ideas about starting and advertising your local celiac disease support group. :)

BURDEE

Thank you very much for your comments!

Tammy,

I'm thinking of starting a celiac support group here in Denmark. Just moved here, and there are essentially now resources for us, so I'm thinking about starting my own.

I've been gluten free for 2 years, and I've learned so much about celiac disease, but I still don't really feel qualified to start my own group.

Any further leads or advice would be much appreciated!