Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Free Dutch Baby Or Puffy Pancake?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 valgal123

valgal123

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

i would like to serve my family a gluten free dutch baby or puffy pancake for christmas morning. i can't find any recipes so i wonder if it isn't even possible. these pancakes are the pancakes that you pour batter in skillet and put in the oven and the edges puff up really high and get crispy.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

i would like to serve my family a gluten free dutch baby or puffy pancake for christmas morning. i can't find any recipes so i wonder if it isn't even possible. these pancakes are the pancakes that you pour batter in skillet and put in the oven and the edges puff up really high and get crispy.

I use the recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, I use 1/2 bean flour mix and 1/2 rice flour and add the xanthan gum per cake recipe. I can get it for you later if you'd like. The kids loved it and it was so easy!!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

Grr...I'm so frustrated with this.

Has anyone made one gluten-free that puffs up on the edges? My tries taste good but they're flat as, well, a pancake! Not at all puffy.

I've tried less eggs, more eggs, less flour, big pan, little pan. Has anyone tried it without x-gum? Maybe I should try that now.

This was my son's favorite bfast treat growing up and as a gluten-free teenager he wants something that has some of the old feeling to it.

~Laura
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:25 AM

Grr...I'm so frustrated with this.

Has anyone made one gluten-free that puffs up on the edges? My tries taste good but they're flat as, well, a pancake! Not at all puffy.

I've tried less eggs, more eggs, less flour, big pan, little pan. Has anyone tried it without x-gum? Maybe I should try that now.

This was my son's favorite bfast treat growing up and as a gluten-free teenager he wants something that has some of the old feeling to it.

~Laura

Are you including any tapioca or arrowroot starch in the mix? That will help hold the puff. I'd even try adding some yeast and letting it rise for a while.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:16 AM

I've also used the Pamela's baking/pancake mix which works better, it puffs better because of the baking powder.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#6 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

I'll try it again with Bob's biscuit mix, which has baking powder. We can't use Pamela's anymore because it has milk, however I was having problems with the rise before I substituted almond or rice milk for cow's milk, so it's not the lack of milk.

I might try separating my eggs and whipping the egg whites to a peak, then blending the other ingredients separately and then folding in the egg whites. That might give it some puff.

I'll keep trying and report back if I succeed. Gluten Free Girl says she's trying to perfect a recipe, so I think eventually I'll get one that puffs!

Thanks for the help everyone!

~Laura
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#7 wheatlessAK

wheatlessAK

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi, I just ran across a tip on another forum. They suggested substituting club soda for the milk or liquid, it's supposed to create a light fluffy pancake. I might have to make pancakes for breakfast tomorrow to try it out!!

#8 jumpygrouch

jumpygrouch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

I realize your post is from 6 months ago, but it just so happens that I just made Dutch Babies using Pamela's pancake mix and me and my husband ate the whole batch between ourselves, they were so good! i got the recipe from a Whole Foods circular! They were FANTASTIC. I couldn't find the recipe on Pamela's website though, so I guess the WholeFoods chefs made it up?

Preheat oven to 475F. Take 2 Tbsp butter and either put into a 10" ovenproof fry pan or split among six 1/2-cup ramekins. Place pan or ramekins onto a cookie sheet with butter and put into preheating oven.

Combine 1 cup Pamela's pancake mix, 4 eggs, 1 1/4 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla in a blender for 20 seconds or until well combined. When oven reaches temperature, remove cookie sheet and divide batter evenly between ramekins (or pour into fry pan) and bake 12 to 15 minutes (ramekins) or 17-20 minutes (fry pan) until top is puffed and golden brown. great with maple syrup!!!!

#9 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

Recipe can be found @ www.killthegluten.blogspot.com/ They even have a pic of it.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: