4 replies to this topic

#1 beach

beach

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:17 PM

My sister has celiac and my question is this. For the past month I have had nausa and lose stools and a very rumbling stomach, especially first thing in the morning. I also have a lot of acid reflux, nervousness and dizziness (although the dizziness may be from the fluid my doctor said is in my left ear). I also have occassional night sweats and I can't sleep at night. I've also lost my appetite and have lost 7 pounds in the last month. (my doctor said it's just from not eating) He did blood work, although I have not heard back with the results, he said he would run the test for celiac as well. However, because I haven't been eating much I'm afraid the test will come back negative. If it does, should I pursue further testing? My doctor seems to think all my symptoms are related to anxiety. I know my chances of having celiac are only 10% but I'm curious. THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

Top celiac rexperts and the NIH say ALL first-degree relatives should be tested. My whole family did this and my dad, with no symptoms, was positive on everything.

richard

#3 SherriRoy

SherriRoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

Anxiety might be the cause, but it doesn't hurt to check out celiac. I got celiac disease from my mothers half brother...so even though he's distant it is totally possible. Since it is your sister...the blood test is a good idea. I turned out half positive and half negative to the test...so they weren't initially sure if I had celiac, but with the biopsy it did show damage.
You do have a lot of symptoms that I have with celiac disease..and I even have IBS. So all aspects are worth checking out. Once you start feeling better, that might help with the sleeping problems.

Hope this helps,
Sherri

#4 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:13 PM

Since your sister has it, you should definitely get tested. My sister is taking my biopsy results to her doc and asking for the tests, since celiac is genetic. Your symptoms could be anxiety, which seems to be the diagnosis of choice these days, but they could also be celiac. I went to my doc about a severe headache that originated in my right ear, she said it was anxiety. Two doctors and three rounds of progressively stronger antibiotics later, the deep ear infection finally cleared up and the headache went away. Anxiety is not the cause of everything that ails us!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:23 PM

You should ask your doctor to get tested for celiac, since your sister has it and because you have a lot of the symptoms. It may be just anxiety but it's better to know for sure.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: