3 replies to this topic

#1 grannynanny

grannynanny

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:54 AM

I'm fairly new to this. Having read many posts around the board, I'm pretty sure that the outbreaks I get in my scalp (and have for years and years) are DH. But reading others' experiences, I am now remembering a huge outbreak I had on my midriff a few years ago (before I knew about Celiac). It was red, itchy and painful. I thought it was shingles, but it did subside fairly quickly and I took no medication (other than Advil). Does that sound like DH?

Also, now that I am gluten-free (7 months -- occasional slippage, particularly with restaurant food), I sometimes get huge red boils around my hairline. They are sometimes pus-filled, and go away after a few days. These bright red eruptions are fairly new to me. Do they sound like DH?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sue
Self-diagnosed and gluten free since August 2004 (having suffered debilitating bouts of nausea, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea and stomach pain for 6 years).

Met with Dr. A. Fasano in Baltimore (Dec 2006), who felt I didn't need to be tested based on my history and positive response to the gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:34 AM

It could be DH. My scalp is the first place I started getting them, many years ago. It is also the first place I break out when I have gotten a large amount of gluten. What I mean by a large amount is more than just the tiny bit of cross-contamination, where the food actually contained an unknown source of gluten. This doesn't happen to me often, but when it does I know by the sores on my scalp, along the hairline.

The abdomen thing might have been shingles, or DH. Shingles is terribly painful. My son occasionally gets it on his abdomen. It hurts to let clothing brush up against it. DH can also be painful though. I guess this is why a good doctor will biopsy the rash to know for sure...As patients maybe we should push for biopsies, since we know it might be DH...

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:42 PM

I think you should definately ask your doctor to get those outbreaks biopsied just to be sure. Good luck B)
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#4 mikespeanut

mikespeanut

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:48 AM

Grannynanny,

I also suffer from DH along with the Celiac. That does sound like DH to me. My outbreaks are fluid or pus filled bumps. They also sting and are sensitive to touch. Ask your doctor to prescribe doxepine. This medication takes care of the pain and may make you sleepy. I am also allergic to soy and this acts as the gluten causing the DH outbreaks. I hope this helps you.

Charmaine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: