4 replies to this topic

#1 kontoulas46

kontoulas46

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:07 AM

My best friend has suffered from celiac disease for over 20 years, she claims she cannot even tolerate rice, but everything I have read that rice is okay, could she also have something else besides celiac disease? :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:32 AM

Yes--rice is fine on a gluten-free diet. She might have a separate allergy--many people here have some other condition or allergy that accompanies celiac. Allergies are unrelated to celiac, but that would be why she has trouble with rice--not celiac disease.

#3 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hello;
I had the same problem after going gluten free for many years. What happens, according to one of my doctors, is that when you take a reaction to gluten, the body knows that something in that meal is making you sick. Example ... You eat quite a few rice dishes, the spice, or sauce on those dishes were contaminated with gluten. The body reacts to the gluten, but doesn't separate the sauce, or spice from the rice. So even when you put an un-contaminated source of rice in you, the body starts to react. In this case you are not getting a gluten reaction, but stomach reflex at the fear of being contaminated.

I went to Calgary and had NAET treatments by a doctor there. It's simple allergy treatments done with a combination of acupressure, acupuncture (done with laser) and heat. The treatments were very comfortable and very effective! I can now eat almost anything that is gluten free.

If you have Celiac disease ... do not trust a doctor doing this treatment that tells you that you will be able to eat gluten after these treatments! The fact is, with Celiac disease we are missing an enzyme, and will never be able to safely eat gluten! My doctor in Calgary had a family member with Celiac disease and was right up to date with the problems associated with it.
If you wish, you can get in touch with me and I'll pass along his website.
Hope this helps :)

#4 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

Maybe your friend's stomach is really damaged and will take time to heal.

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:45 PM

If she has actually been gluten free for 20 years, I would say that maybe she has an allergy to rice?

But if she just recently found out that she has had celiac for 20 years and has just started the gluten-free diet, I would say she may just need more time to heal and recover.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: