3 replies to this topic

#1 Eliza82

Eliza82

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Does anyone ever feel like there is a "lump" in their throat or feel like there is a gas bubble there? I can swallow okay but it feels like something is in there even though I went to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor and they don't see anything with their testing scope.

I'm thinking it could be anything - dry heat (we have a wood furnace), my myofascial pain syndrome, chemicals in my home or mold or anything really, but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this or had any insight.

Thanks!
Gluten-free 4/25/10 (as a test run)

When you wholeheartedly adopt a "with all your heart" attitude and go out with the positive principle, you can do incredible things. -Norman Vincent Peale

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DonaldandAlanda Evans

DonaldandAlanda Evans

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Do you experience any anxiety? Anxiety can bring on something called Globus Hystericus. Basically it's a feeling of having something in your throat that really isn't there. I had this before diagnosis.......mainly because I was convinced I was dying.....it's gone now, and I'm not dying lol

#3 skigirlchar

skigirlchar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

i get it

do you also experience heartburn?

my dr put me on an rx (as opposed to me taking tums all day) or an over the counter.

i was up to taking it 2x's a day.

when i had my upper endoscopy they looked for GERD. fortunatly i don't have GERD but i do have scarring from the acid reflux

i was told to add a number of foods to my "forbidden list" in addition to going gluten-free/CF/SF - chocolate, caffeine, acids (including tomatos, and anything else in the nightshade family such as eggplant.)

it has helped a LOT - and now i almost never need the RX - i just take it when i KNOW i am going to eat a "forbidden" food such as tomato sauce on pasta or when i have slipped on the diet.

i still get throat lump days - but they are almost gone and are almost only on days i eat stuff i shouldn't

good luck!
-severe soy, wheat & yeast allergies 2006
-penicillin allergy 2008
-multiple other food & environmental allergies starting 1982
-non-iron deficient anemia - life long
-migraines 3/07
-negative celiac blood testing 10/09 & upper endoscopy biopsy 3/10
-negative GERD observation during upper endoscopy 3/10
-positive hereditary hiatial hernia during upper endoscopy 3/10
+continually working on gluten-free/CF/SF related to allergies & celiac like symptoms
+continually working on elimination of caffine, chocolate, & spicy foods related to hernia & heartburn

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Lots of thing could cause a sensation in the throat. Here are a few examples: as the other poster stated reflux, thyroid enlargement/nodules and anterior osteophytes on the cervical vertebrae (they protrude and put pressure on the throat). I am sure there are more causes, this is the few I know of. Another possibility is that the muscle motility has slowed.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: