19 replies to this topic

#16 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:34 AM

Cooking is a skill, like driving, that you learn. You can take classes, or you can do it on your own.

I've tried to find cooking classes around here and I never could find a class just on learning how to cook. It was always something specialized, like vegetarian cooking or Indian food. I just want to learn how to cook in general to begin with!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 scotia

scotia

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:25 PM

Mytummyhurts: It's easy once you 'experiment' on your own.
Get some gluten-free soy sauce and make yourself some stir fry with chicken, beef or vegetables.
You can't muck it up.
Same goes for curry sauces...gluten-free of course, do what you'd with the stir fry stuff but instead of gluten-free soy sauce, use gluten-free curry sauce, from Pataks or Sharwoods.
Good Luck and Happy Cooking.

Scotia

#18 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:35 AM

another thing about cooking is don't be afraid to be creative and try something new... for example, last night I had NO CLUE what I was going to make for dinner. I opened up my freezer and found some chicken breasts... defrosted them in the microwave then in a skillet on the top of the stove I cooked the chicken in about 1 inch of water flipping til white on both sides, put a lid on and let it cook for aboutt 20 minutes. Then I thought... hmmmmm I need a vegetable with this, what do I have? Back to my trusty freezer for some chopped broccoli... I opened the pack of broccoli and poured it in with the chicken and water, added just a little more water and put the lid back on. Cooked this for another 10 minutes and then I'm thinking... this probably needs something else... I sprinkled some salt, pepper, and garlic powder over the broccoli and chicken, and as I'm looking at it I thought, this needs a sauce, what do I have? Into the fridge I go... OH LOOKEY half a box of Velveeta cheese! In a separate pan I chopped up the Velveeta and added about 1/4 cup of milk and cooked on a low heat stirring constantly until it was melted... once it was melted I removed it from heat... Took the lid off the broccoli and chicken, drained the water out using a collander then put it back in the pan and poured my cheese sauce over it. Put the lid back on and thought... hmmmmmm I need a side dish... what do I have??? Into the pantry I went, found a box of Barbara's instant mashed potatoes... quickly made up a batch of those and called it dinner! I put the cheese sauce with the broccoli in it over the mashed potatoes... OMG! YUM!

My husband, who is NOT gluten-free claimed that this was the most yummy meal he's had in a long long time... I have to agree, it was delish and I really didn't plan anything... I just got creative with what I had. Sometimes the best meals are accidental!

If you want any hints on basic cooking techniques feel free to e-mail me at nisla@comcast.net

#19 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:39 AM

Abby, don't rule out those classes - they'll still teach you how to cook! A lot of times classes like that need a draw, or at least a theme, so they'll start there. And, depending on where you live, there may be a lot of "hidden" resources that can be hard to find. (Turns out there's a cooking class occasionally one of our community centers near me.)

Alternatively, if you know anyone who's a decent cook, ask them for their help. I learned a lot from my dad when I was young, but I learned even more from my mother-in-law - enough to get me in the kitchen experimenting. (Dare I say I'm now a better cook that she is? Well, I am more adventuresome, but that's just me. ;-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#20 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:41 PM

I'm 24 yrs old and I've been gluten free for about a year. I felt the same way as you when I was diagnosed! My friends in college used to make fun of me because I LIVED off McDonalds! I didn't like to cook and loved to eat out! The night I was diagnosed I remember looking in my cabinet and crying. I had a can of peas for dinner that night. However, since then I have found a new passion...of all thing COOKING! It's almost like a challenge for me now to make that thing I'm craving and I find it so much more fun cooking gluten-free than I did with regular food. It took a while to obtain all the flours, cooking utensils, staple ingredients, etc. at my house, but once you have it all worked out it is much easier. My sugestion is to buy the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. THere are a lot of simple recipes to get you started and it has all kinds of cooking tips. Just substitute rice flour for the regular flour in the recipes and it will turn out fine. That and buy a bread maker....you won't regret it! I know how bad this sucks....but trust me it gets better! Much better! I had a dinner party last night with all gluten eating guests. I made gluten-free sweet and sour pork, egg rolls and rice....it was a hit! Who would have thought....me cooking impressive food! You will too. Just give it a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: