50 replies to this topic

#46 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:11 PM

This is a great opportunity for you to draw some lines that no one can cross. If there's no pancake mix left but your gluten-free mix, then no one can use it. Plain and simple. That's not a hard rule to follow. gluten-free is off limits to those members of the family that don't require it for daily sustenence. Period.

Another thing. You are worth the cost of the food you need. Don't quibble over the cost of a loaf of bread. You will have some trial and error in this area because taste is important, but some sacrifices from within the family can be made if money is that tight for your family.

Specialty stores/on line shopping can be used ONLY for breads if you're on a tight budget.

Tinkyada pastas specialty store (for spahgetti or mac and cheese etc)
Kinnikinnick tapioca bread specialty store or on line
Chebe bread Order from gluten free mall get mixes, they're cheaper
Kinnikinnick doughnuts are great

read lables carefully in your local store. You can live off what they have there if you have to.

Post fruity pebbles/cocoa pebbles
corn tortillas
taco shells usually

If you can't afford breads and other specialty products, use corn tortillas for wraps. Wrap your hot dog in one, wrap your hamburger in one. Wrap a banana and peanut butter up in one. Egg wraps in the morning. Good luck.
I believe in God.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 wclemens

wclemens

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

Hi,
I know it's hard at first to realize that your whole life is changing, but as a person who apparently started having celiac symptoms at age 8, and now I'm 60, I've had a bit of time to get used to the idea.

It seems that more and more people are being diagnosed, and that is good! Hopefully you will never have to experience the years and years of uncertain health that went with not knowing where those symptoms of illness came from for those of us who had it long ago. Doctors didn't have a clue, and trial and error was about the only way to figure out that what we put into our bodies was what caused our distress.

The diet does get easier, and the cravings just seem to go away once you stick to this way of eating religiously. Did you know that the longer you ingest grains, the more intolerances you develop to other foods.? My intolerances include all grains, all milk and dairy products, egg whites, and yeast, as well as maltodextrin, casein, etc. All the soy substitutes I've found seem to contain at least one of these, except, last week I found a soy ice cream bar covered in chocolate and almonds with no milk or anything in the list above added. I was so elated!

The best part of having this disease for so long is that now, my grandson and sister have been diagnosed, and last night I heard my cousin may have it. With all the practice I've done creating recipes and searching health food stores, I can save them a lot of time as they work toward good health. Oh, and I remember that severe asthma, depression, and "brain fog" I used to experience so frequently, along with a tiredness which just never seemed to end. Life will get better for you. Keep posting, and know that you are never alone as you work to find solutions in your quest to feel better. Best wishes. Welda Lou

#48 2old4

2old4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

depression, and "brain fog" I used to experience so frequently, along with a tiredness which just never seemed to end.

Welda, I have been having alot of that "brain fog" and tiredness lately. I have been gluten-free for about 4 weeks, I have been very careful. Physically, I feel great, but I wonder if I need the same dosage of antidepressant that I've been taking before?! Any ideas on this? Anyone? -Patty
gluten-free since 05/19/05
Positive Bloodwork
Patty from Maine

#49 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Patty- I'm SO glad you asked that question because I've been thinking the same thing myself. I've been gluten-free since January (except for 10 days before my biopsy. Ugh!) and I was on three medications- Wellbutrin, klonopin and Celexa. I was able to cut out the Wellbutrin and drop from 3 mg of the klonopin to 2 mg but I'm now thinking I may need to cut down on my Celexa as well because I feel over-sedated and medicated. I'm going to talk to my doctor first but that is an excellent question. I think I may have been on such high doses because my body wasn't absorbing anything. Let me know what goes on with you. Best, Beverly

#50 BellaSara

BellaSara

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

I used to get very depressed about not eating pizza until I started making my own. Now that I have the hang of it, it tastes better than frozen pizza and I can put whatever I want on it.

#51 gZimmiZ

gZimmiZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:38 AM

Dear Patty, My college daughter says she came out of the "Brain Fog" after she went gluten free and didn't realize what it was or that she was in it. It's only when she "gets glutened" that it returns. We found gluten in Tylenol white tablets, one type of dental floss and vitamins, only then did she clear up completely at the beginning of this journey. Keep searching for gluten, it will get easier, and your brain fog should clear!
Here's to sunny days ahead!
ZimmiZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: