This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grieving For Food

Sheely

Sheely Apprentice

I'm going through this stage where I am having alot of trouble accepting the fact that I have Celiac and can't eat my favorite foods. Not to mention the fact that gluten-free foods taste horrible.

I just read the ingredients on barbecued Fritos. It has wheat glutens in it. Do you know how much I love barbecued Fritos?? I used to make a ham sandwich on an onion roll, and smash the barbecued Fritos between the bread. Now I can only eat plain old ham.

Twizzlers, they have wheat in them. Who did that to me?? I am dying for a pizza right now. This place down the street from me is famous for their pepperoni pizzas. They are soooooooo good. Can't have them anymore. Yeah I know, I can make my own pizza with gluten free pizza crust, but it's not the same.

I'm just really sad/angry/depressed right now.

On a positive note, I did find a liquor store not too far from me that sells Bard's Tale beer. Haven't bought it yet, though.

How do you cope? How do you deal with the cravings? What do you do when you are pms'ing and just want a greasy cheese steak sub?

I've been good though, I haven't given in at all, because I know I have to be strong. If I give in once, I'll give in again, then I'll just give in altogether. Can't let that happen.

Sheila

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nini

Sheila, it will all be ok.

You CAN have regular fritos... (I know, not the bbq ones but still it's something)

I also found a company called "candy tree" that makes wheat free/gluten free Organic Cherry Vines that IMHO taste BETTER than Twizzlers. for more info 845-278-8164, health.flavors@worldnet.att.net

Guest nini

Also, Gillian's Foods makes really good gluten-free onion rolls. You can order them online @ Open Original Shared Link

tarnalberry Community Regular

Here's the thing... gluten-free food doesn't taste nasty. Some of it does, but some does some non-gluten-free food too. You just have to figure out what you like. It's like going to a new country, new culture, with totally different food, and finding what you like and don't like. (It's harder, of course, because you can still SEE your old favorites.)

I posted 32 recipes last week, and other people have posted a lot of other recipes (my list is notoriously short on desserts, 'cause I'm one of those people who think dessert=fruit ;-) ). Yeah, I know - cooking. But it doesn't have to be that bad, if you go with simple recipes using simple techniques.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

You know when I was first diagnosed I was like o great I can't have anything good that I like. Well I learned as time went on that is false. There are so many good foods that we can have now that we could have before. There are good gluten free breads, donuts, cookies, and all that stuff it's just a matter of finding the good brands that are mixed with some bad ones.

Hang in there...it's not as bad as it may seem

domineske Apprentice

One suggestion... when my daughters were first diagnosed we tried EVERY kind of gluten free food all at once and they HATED most of it. But we found that if we tried different kinds of gluten-free food more slowly, their tastes changed as they got used to not eating wheat and they kept finding new foods that they liked. It took a year before we were really able to find "replacements" for almost all of the foods they liked. Finding mainstream products (like Cocoa Pebbles!!!) really helped too.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

luvs2eat Collaborator

Sometimes I don't cope so well and get really mad about not being able to have that pizza... to add insult to injury... I didn't eat pizza for 17 years cause it was the ONE food I couldn't even smell when I was pregnant. I finally started eating it again years after kids ... had just discovered Pizza Hut's pizza with the crust stuffed with cheese, when I was diagnosed.

OUCH.

Like others have said, you do find acceptable and then downright tasty alternatives, but let yourself be mad occasionally. It IS a lousy deal of the cards. Lucky for us, it doesn't have to be life-threatening.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

It is easy for us to say, "You will get use to it in time..." But, it is true! You will. As for pms ing, you can still have chocolate!! ;) I guess I am one of the lucky ones ~ I was never a "bread" person to begin with. For me, I crave steak! A good ribeye does it for me!! Yum!! You can always make a good, greasy cheeseburger... w/o bun... and dive in!! There are really tons of alternatives... it will just take a while to find the items that are gluten-free that you really enjoy. You can still have ice cream, M&M's in popcorn, gluten-free brownies... the list goes on and on.

Try and keep items you can eat around for when you get cravings, and then the temptation to cheat will not be so great.

Hope you feel better soon, and find tons of yummy gluten-free foods to enjoy!! :)

UIDancer Apprentice

I look at it as a way to try all of these new foods that I never would've tried before. Like Soy Crisps. Damn, those things are good, they come in a bunch of different flavors, and they're low in calories! A couple of suggestions... get in good with some of your favorite local restaurants. Maybe you could get them to make you a greasy sub on your favorite gluten-free sub bread? Or have your favorite pizza place make you a pizza on your gluten-free pizza crust. That's actually what my boyfriend who works at a pizza place is doing for me this weekend (SO excited!!). Do you have a Lou Malnatti's pizza place by you? They have a gluten-free pizza or I think you might be able to have one shipped to you!! Also, if you're PMS'ing and craving something bad, eat candy. I've found that almost ALL of the candy I ever eat is gluten-free.

When I first started the diet a couple months ago I felt so limited but then I started realizing all the things I COULD eat instead of all the things I COULDN'T eat. It gets easier, I promise.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
How do you cope? How do you deal with the cravings?

I do a lot of my own cooking. I find gluten-free recipes that I like and make them! You can proably find a gluten free version of most gluten meals. You can make gluten free pizza, spagetti, stir fries, chili, tacos, hamburgers with gluten-free buns, even streak sandwiches in gluten-free hot dog buns!

I find that most foods that do not have a gluten free (and lactose free in my case) alternative are foods that aren't particular good for me anyway. Sure I miss them, but I realize that I eat healthier now and that I am doing my body a favor.

jknnej Collaborator

Ok, it was a bit easier for me b/c I am more of a dessert person than anything else and I can still have dessert.

Plus, I lost 13 lbs. after going gluten-free, so now I like my new shape.

But, when the cravings do hit it is hard.

Last week I went to visit family and they tried but kept forgetting and serving me things and eating pancakes in front of me. (yes, I know there are gluten-free pancakes but I didn't have any with me so I had to sit and watch them eat it).

It was really hard and I went home depressed.

My husband is so supportive, though, that it is easy when I'm at home.

I do miss the foods but there are a lot of regular products we can still have.

The ONLY thing I wish I could find is some good gluten-free bread. So far all I have tasted, including Kinninnick is nasty.

I really miss rolls and sandwiches. But, again, I lost weight after stopping the bread so I shouldn't complain....

Anyhow, hang in there. We're all here with you, going through it as well.

Twister2 Contributor

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Right now I am pregnant, and I would KILL for a hawaiian pizza. When I was first diagnosed, I felt horribly depressed. My husband is an AWESOME cook, and we just love to cook together, its our "thing". I felt like all of that would change, and while it has in some ways, we just work around it. He doesn't mind eating gluten-free. He makes a linguine with clam sauce that I LOVE and I thought I would die without it, but we just modified the recipe a bit and it tastes just the same now! It has taken me a long time to get gluten-free...I have cheated alot, and as a result been sick alot, but I am sticking to it now and it has gotten easier. I hope you feel better soon!

Cheers,

Twister

Magdeliscious Rookie

Medaka,

I totally understand your frustration on the gluten-free foods. Its a tough life style change to make.

I don't know how everyone else on this forum feels, but I find that if I have to make something "gluten-free", then its probably not worth doing it. What I mean is that we are used to the tastes of pizza dough, cookies, and cakes made of flour. And while the gluten free versions are bearable, they just aren't the same!

Its wierd because going gluten-free has just redefined my idea of what my favorite foods are. I have become a lot more vegetable/whole grain based, and to be honest, the change has been God sent.

Sorry i know its not exactly what you want to ehar, but just keep in mind that this lifestlye change while challenging, will also be healthful!

Always,

MAgdalena

jenvan Collaborator

Sheila-

Good advice above... I would echo--there is still a ton of food you can have--m&ms to reeces to certain chips. And there is good gluten-free pizza, breads, cakes/cookies out there. It will just take you some time to figure out which you like, and sometimes you may have to make it yourself...draw backs...

Take it simple at first, and know that you will get the hang of it soon, find things you like, and 'find your groove', so to speak :) but it is hard at first.

Do you have your okay and not okay ingredients lists? That's the first thing. Then read posts about people's favorite gluten-free foods to try, and ck out one of the lists that lists mainline foods that are gluten-free. When I was diagnosed I went to a natural grocery store and just bought a whole bunch of different things to try. That way I knew what I liked, what I didn't, what I wanted to invest in. And when I found something I did really like, I bought a ton of it ! My fav is mi-dels' arrowroot cookies. Do you have a trader joes, wild oat's or whole foods by you? Even Walmart and Meijer have some gluten-free foods, and there are a TON of gluten-free foods online. We can give you more specifics if you don't know...

We hope the transition goes quickly for you ! Let yourself be upset sometimes, but then try and turn it around to hopefulness. In the scheme of life, of being healthy, of friends, family, good times, memories, missing bites of some foods is tolerable...and gets easier and easier.

printmaker81 Rookie

Sheila,

I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about a month or so ago. It was easy at first because I felt that finally I had a chance to feel better. Now, I'm still feeling the same, so it's harder to keep the resolve to be gluten-free strong. For me, I feel like I crave things that I never even liked before I got diagnosed, like doughnuts. It's silly but sometimes I think I want it simply because I can't have it. I hardly ever ate sandwhiches before, but that seems to be what I'm in the mood for now at lunch time. :huh:

I have to echo what Magdalena said- instead of trying to look for "gluten-free" versions of what I liked before. I've been trying to find foods that "normal" people eat that don't contain gluten. A lot of Asian food is really yummy and doesn't have gluten in it. I'd recommend getting a Thai or Vietnamese cookbook. Unlike Chinese and Japanese, a lot of the southern asian countries don't use soy sauce in their cuisine (they're usually don't take very long to make either). Plus, most recipes use coconut milk instead of cream or milk which should be easier on your system. If you're like me, and you have to lay off dairy for a while, a lot of the gluten-free products out there are off limits anyway. I think it helps to be able to eat a good meal that doesn't come in a package labeled "gluten-free." At least, I feel a little more normal, and I can share those types of meals with my non-celiac friends (who are all very happy that I have taken to the wok lately). It's still a change in lifestyle to some degree, but I don't have to feel like I am eating "sick people's food."

Good luck, it is really hard to deal with those cravings, especially if you have a lot of non-celiacs in your life eating the things you love right in front of you.

Heather

terri Contributor

Thanks Nini,

I just went on their website and ordered some! Along with no rye rye bread and pizzas and a pie shell. Now I'm excited! I had no idea gluten-free onion rolls were out there. YUM!

Terri :D

plantime Contributor

If you want that sub or hamburger, and don't want to eat it with a fork and knife, wrap it in wax paper! I just stack my ingredients on the wax paper, wrap it, fold back the end, and eat it just like I would have if it had a bun on it.

Guest nini

YW Terri! I love their Onion rolls, but to be honest Gillians Cinnamon Raisin Buns are the bestest!!!! I swear that is one of my most all time fave gluten-free foods.

BTW Sheila, I mourned the loss of Pizza, but as I sit here right now, I am eating a pizza. I started with Amy's Rice Crust Cheese pizza, added Krafts shredded 4 cheese Mexican blend and some cooked taco meat and baked. :YUMMMMMM! My daughter just begged for her third piece.

2old4 Rookie

Hi guys, has anyone checked out Int'l Delights coffee creamers? I e-mailed the company but haven't heard back anything yet. Thanks-2old4-Patty

gZimmiZ Rookie

Dear Sheely,

I am not Celiac but my husband and college aged daughter are, one son is not. After the first diagnoses I felt overwhelmed for them. I didn't know how to cook or how to shop. I made a decision that our home would be totally gluten-free, home is where you should feel safe. I watched them go up and down in their emotions toward celiac disease, It is hard and I am so sorry that you are struggling. They have each other to complain to, this group and others are terrific support. Just know you can always share here and find comfort and understanding. You can find great ideas for shopping, eating out and support for bad days.

Pizza, we like Kinnikinnick pizza crust. I bake the crust first on a stone for 8-10 minutes then top it with sauce, veggies and then cheese and bake.

Eating out is easier now also. Reading posts about restaurant menus is so helpfulI think the thing I hear my two complain about most is feeling hungry all the time. After a year I think we all thought that would pass. Any ideas anyone?

We also order hamburger buns and bagels from Kinnikinnick.

ZimmiZ

God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Get some gluten-free bbq sauce and dip regular fritos in the bbq sauce. Maybe you can even get fancy and smear bbq sauce on the fritos and BAKE them in the oven to really get the sauce to sink in. Maybe you would need to broil them. I don't know. I'm a terrible cook. You could try it and let us know. Keep busy, girlfriend. Find new foods to replace the old.

connole1056 Rookie

Hi Shelia, I feel for you because of your Twizzlers cravings. What really sucks is that they used to be gluten-free! My daughter was ripped when the ingredients changed! To cope with the cravings in our house, we look for regular food we can eat-nothing from the health food stores or natural food section of the supermarket! When my daughter brings a national brand snack to school she is loving life because she gets to be like everyone else. It really helps her feel like part of the crowd, and at 11 that is important!

I bet some people will disagree with me, but there is no gluten-free pizza that tastes as good as non-gluten-free. There are some crusts and premade pizzas that are good though.

I do not go for the strictly gluten-free recipes. I adapt regular recipes. Most of the time all it takes is a little tweaking and I find using gluten-free cookbooks too depressing. It seems like a silly thing, but it helps with coping.

Sheely Apprentice
Also, Gillian's Foods makes really good gluten-free onion rolls. You can order them online @ Open Original Shared Link

I will definitely check them out. I miss my onion rolls!

Thanks!

Sheila

Sheely Apprentice
Here's the thing... gluten-free food doesn't taste nasty. Some of it does, but some does some non-gluten-free food too.

I haven't found a gluten-free bread that I like yet. I tried to make a hamburger the other day with Ener-G white rice bread, and it was so godawful, I had to spit it out. Gross, but true. I have had gluten-free spaghetti, it was okay, but kinda mushy. I tried gluten-free elbow macaroni, and it was terrible. I put it in my dog's dish, and even she wouldn't eat it! My son thought that was pretty hysterical.

I know I have to keep looking for the good stuff, but all of this trial and error is frustrating and expensive.

I know I have to deal with it, I'm just venting. As my boss would say, "it is what it is!"

Sheila

Sheely Apprentice
Do you have a Lou Malnatti's pizza place by you? They have a gluten-free pizza

I've never heard of them, but I will definitely check them out. Thanks!

Sheila

Archived