This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Progresso Cream Of Mushroom Soup

debbie-doodles

debbie-doodles Contributor

I have read on this board that Progresso's cream of mushroom soup is gluten-free. I cook with cream of mushroom soup a LOT and need to find this. I have tried Walmart, Frys, and Albertsons. None of them carried it. Can anyone tell me where to find this soup? Or can anyone give me a good alternative to campbell's cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup? THanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

I think a lot of us are looking for an alternative to Campbell's cream of mushroom soup! :o

Perhaps all 4000 or so of us should lobby Campbell's to make us one, seeing as how they are usually so easy to find anywhere :lol:

Emme999 Enthusiast

Where are you located? I just went to a GIG meeting tonight where they talked about Progresso Cream of Mushroom Soup. From what they said, it is not generally stocked west of the Mississippi (or something like that!). One of the guys from the SLC GIG has talked to a manager at a local grocery store (Albertsons) who is going to order it for him - unfortunately they need to order something like 70 cases! Sheesh! Anyway, if you happen to be located in Utah, let me know and I will give you his contact info. He's looking for people who want to buy a lot of it!

For another idea - I saw today that someone in the forum uses Classico alfredo sauce in place of cream of mushroom in their recipes. You might try that :)

Good luck!

- Michelle :wub:

mytummyhurts Contributor
From what they said, it is not generally stocked west of the Mississippi (or something like that!).

Crap! I'm out of luck then. I live in Washington State and I couldn't find this at my store either.

Oh Darn. I'm in Arizona and that is definetly west of the mississippi. :( bummer.

I have purchased some Progresso "creamy mushroom" (not cream OF mushroom) soup. That looked to be the closest. Does anyone know if this is gluten-free? I didn't notice anything on the label that indicated it might have gluten in it. I used it once and it worked pretty similar to cream of mushroom.

Classico alfredo sauce? Is that in main stream grocery stores, or specialty ones?

Emme999 Enthusiast

Classico Alfredo Sauce is in mainstream stores.

I don't know if the progresso soup you are talking about is gluten-free, but here is their website if you want to inquire:

Open Original Shared Link

- Michelle :wub:

Thanks Michelle, You're the best. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emme999 Enthusiast
Thanks Michelle, You're the best. :)

:):):):):)

jenvan Collaborator

I have given up on canned cream of ___ soups. I use Betty Hag's cream of soup recipe. You mix it up, put it in a container and it keeps on the shelf till you need it for a recipe, just add water. You can make it for chicken, mushroom, yadda yadda. I can post if someone wants it...

Guest gfinnebraska

So, when I am in Ohio/New York next week, do I need to stock up on Cr/M/Soup?? :lol:

I can see my husbands face when he looks in the car and says, "WHY do you have a case of soup in here??!!??" Hahahahaha!

Guest Viola

Yes please Jen, will you post that recipe :D

mytummyhurts Contributor
Yes please Jen, will you post that recipe  :D

I want it too, Jen! :D

Speaking of c/m soup. I was thinking about green bean casserole last night. Yummy, I used to eat that a lot. My husband's probably glad I can't eat it anymore because he was so sick of it. :lol: Now, I wish there were gluten-free french fried onions? Anybody know of some?

Jen, that would be great if you posted the recipe. someone was just telling me about it and I wanted to try it. I like the idea of mixing a bunch of it and then keeping it until I need it. it will be just like cooking with canned soup! ooh, i'm so excited to cook now. :lol:

akua123 Newbie

I've made green bean casserole, broccoli rice casserole using Bette Haggman's cream soup recipe and it worked perfectly - non gluten-free people couldn't even tell the difference.

Guest Lucy

I use proggresso creamy mushroom soup. I don't think they have one that is actually called cream OF mushroom. I also do Bette Hagamans. I think it works too. The progresso is just quick and easy when I'm in a hurry.

I have found the consistancy is a little less thick with both, but I just add less milk in recipe or I add more solids.

Lucy, would you be willing to post that bette hagaman recipe? :) thanks!

jenvan Collaborator

hey all! i forgot to get back on and ck this post ! i will post betty's cream of __ recipe and another i got from the delphi forums tonight or tommorrow when i am at home. happy cooking :)

jenvan Collaborator

Oh, and Abby--I put Betty's recipe in the packet I sent you... :)

jenvan Collaborator

Okay ya'll-- here is one of the 2 "cream of ___" recipes. I'll post the other asap :) This one is from Delphi

CREAM OF 'WHATEVER' SOUP

Most commercial cream soups contain wheat!

SOUP BASE:

Mix well: 2 cups nonfat dried milk

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup potato starch

2 Tbs. dried minced onions

1/2 tsp. black pepper

Store in the refrigerator.

Cream of Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

1/4 c. soup base

3/4 cup cold water

1/2 c. gluten-free tomato paste

1/2 t. paprika

1/2 t. celery salt

1 tsp. butter

Cream of Mushroom

Ingredients:

1/3 c. soup base

3/4 c. cold water

1-4 oz. can mushroom, undrained

2 tsp. gluten-free chicken bouillon

1 tsp. butter

Dash of nutmeg

Special Prep: Mushrooms can be chopped in own juice in blender.

Cream of Chicken

Ingredients:

1/3 c. soup base

1 c. cold water

1/3 c. finely chopped chicken

1/4 tsp. dried parsley

Dash of celery salt

Cream of Celery

Ingredients:

1/3 c. soup base

1 c. cold water

1/2 c. fined minced celery

1 tsp. butter

1/4 tsp. celery salt or seed

Special Prep: Simmer celery in butter

& additional water in a covered pan until tender, 5-10 min. Then cook uncovered until most of water is evaporated.

MCSC9901, page 13

Basic Directions:

Directions for making soups are similar,

except when noted by Special Prep.

Mix and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Lower heat and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.

(Soup can also be made in microwave. Use at least a 1 quart bowl, as it will boil up. Stir frequently.)

At this point, use as directed in place of a can of cream soup in your recipe.

Or, add 8-10 ounces of additional water when heating and eat as soup.

Quick Mix Casserole: Mix all casserole ingredients and bring to a boil on top of stove. Mix 1/4 to 1/3 cup soup base with an additional 1 cup water. Add to hot ingredients, stir until thick. Turn into baking dish, bake as usual.

If using rice in a casserole, it must be almost completely cooked before adding soup mix, or it will take forever for the rice to finish cooking.

Low sodium-look for a low sodium, g.f. chicken bouillon.

Milk-free--Look for milk powdered milk subs. Simplest fix might be to omit dried milk altogether. Then use 1/3 the amount of soup base called for in recipe-- 1/3 c. would be ~ 2 Tbs. and 1/4 c. would be ~1 1/2 Tbs. Use liquid milk sub or lactose reduced milk instead of water.

Unfortunately, many milk subs, liquid or powder, interfere with the thickening properties of g.f. flours (and cornstarch especially) not just in soup but in baking as well. You might need to experiment w/ various milk subs-soy, nut, etc.

Save time! Tape frequently used recipes to the inside of the cupboard door.

============================================================

"Condensed" Cream of Mushroom Soup

3/4 cup homemade or low-sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

1 tablespoon dried parsley

2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine

2 tablespoons cornstarch or sweetrice flour or gluten-free flour mix (msg 4848.5)

Few dashes pepper

1/2 cup low or non fat milk or non-diary creamer

1.In a saucepan combine the chicken broth, onion, mushrooms

and parsley. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 5 minutes.

2.Place vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor and

blend until smooth.

3.In the same saucepan melt the butter. Blend in flour and

pepper. Add the milk all at once. Cook and stir until mixture is

thickened and bubbly.

4.Add the blended vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until heated

through.

This makes approximately as much as a 10 3/4 oz. can of

condensed cream of mushroom soup and can be used in any recipe

that calls for one. It can also be made in larger quantities and

freezes well. If you use homemade chicken broth and creamer,

there is virtually no sodium. You can use the same basic recipe to

make other cream of veggie soups, or add chicken and a couple of

teaspoons of no-salt boullion in place of the mushrooms to make

cream of chicken.

Guest Viola

Thanks so much for this Jen! :D

• 10 years later...
mheinlen Newbie

I live in Sumner, Washington and just spoke to the Fred Meyer grocery store there. The told me that they have it on the shelf and it is labelled "gluten-free". I also checked the Betty Crocker website and they do list Vegetable  Classics  Creamy  Mushroom on their gluten free list. I have not cooked with yet but I will probably try it this weekend.

• 1 year later...
The Wife Newbie

Thank you so much for posting this, it has been challenging looking for replacements in the food we cook. I found the progresso soup in my local Shoprite. I also found it on Amazon, so for those that can't get it locally... Definitely check out that option :)

LilyR Rising Star

Wow, thanks so  much for those recipes.  That will really come in handy.  

I live in New England, and I noticed the progresso mushroom soup so far only in one store, and that was Price Chopper.  It was in with the regular canned soups.  They have little tags that say "gluten free" in front of many products throughout their store (and they have a whole gluten-free section in the cereal and granola bar aisle), and it caught me eye at the mushroom soup.  So, sometimes one store in your town might have it, while other stores might not.  I did see it at amazon too, but unless you are a prime member, you have to buy like a case of it and it seems more expensive than in the grocery store.  If you are a prime memember, or know someone who is that could order it for you, they offer single cans for just a little over a dollar.  

non-Prime Members:

They have  larger packs that the above too. 

Prime Member:

They have gluten-free clam chowder, and manhatten clam chowder and other soups that are gluten-free too.

Ooh, just found this one that could maybe be used in casseroles:

Archived