Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Thought I Was Allergic To Sulphates In Shampoo...but

5 posts in this topic

I only found out I had Celiac 6 days ago!!! I have been HORRIBLY sick for YEARS now, but my doctor and I never put all the clues together till now.

Anywho, about 5 years ago I started getting a HORRIBLE rash on scalp. Almost like psorriassis (SP?). It hurts, itches...BADLY!!! I have since then seen changed to organic shampoo and the problem isn't 'as bad' but still there. I get flaky almost like dandruff. My head is a mess. I am constantly in pain, with teeny blisters. They travel down my neck sometimes.

Because I only found out 6 days ago about the celiac, could it be Dermatitis Herpetiformis this whole time? I of course don't know much about it. Is there medication to take for this?

I see my doctor tomorrow, so I will discuss it with him. Just wanted to post about it to see what everyone thought.

Ads by Google:

It very well could be. The teeny blister part and the pain are consistent with DH. The location is consistent as well. I too thought I was allergic to many ingredients in soaps and shampoos, but it was gluten. If it really is the case, the sores should stop hurting soon after going gluten free. A bit longer to heal. Iodine is an activator of DH.

Welcome to your recovery. I'm glad you found out what was wrong. I too was sick for years. Recovering now 4 months. Would not be well without this site. Keep reading. :)

Yes, I agree that your symptoms are consistent with DH. However, you might also be suffering from a zinc deficiency, so you might ask your doctor to test you for that (zinc deficiency can cause flaking of the scalp). If you are indeed deficient in zinc, be sure to buy the amino acid chelated form.

Thank you for your replies. I have my first official follow up with my doctor tomorrow, as my results were read over the phone to me. I will be going in depth with everything so I will bring this portion up with him as well. He prescribed some medication to me a couple years ago for this issue (thinking it was a sulphate allergy reaction), so he is already familiar with it. If it is DH, then I guess there is another approach to take.

I will update when I get back tomorrow afternoon. Thank you :D

Thank you for your replies. I have my first official follow up with my doctor tomorrow, as my results were read over the phone to me. I will be going in depth with everything so I will bring this portion up with him as well. He prescribed some medication to me a couple years ago for this issue (thinking it was a sulphate allergy reaction), so he is already familiar with it. If it is DH, then I guess there is another approach to take.

I will update when I get back tomorrow afternoon. Thank you :D

The best approach with DH is avoiding gluten strictly and also iodine. If the doctor suggests dapsone do read on it throughly. It can have some nasty side effects. The diet and avoiding iodine will clear up DH nicely without meds but it does take some time for the antibodies to leave the skin so for awhile you may get flares when you get even small amounts of gluten. Do switch to topicals without gluten.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I am so confused right now.... 6 years ago I went on gluten free diet... after being on it for the first yr I was 100%better up until 5 months ago in got the "flu" the doctors told me to cut out dairy sonic did and my diarrhea  became better but not completely gone would not have it every day tho. I went to the gi doctor and they said to cut out fructose and dairy and keep gluten out... yesterday I went to the dietitian to see what I can eat and she gave me the list for fructose... she said it should have been on a antibiotic for sibo.... eventually I will be able to add dairy back and maybe gluten.... I said how can I add gluten back when this was my first problem... she goes well through fructose goes hand in hand with it... I said with gluten I vomit and am sick for weeks.... fructose isn't that bad I vomit sometimes but I'm not sick for weeks.... I'm just confused on really what is going on and was wondering if you or someone you know had sibo from gluten and or fructose and how Is this all related?
    • I see no one has responded to your query.  Unfortunately I have yet to try making a pie crust.  It was something I never mastered before going gluten free.  Have you looked on Pinterest?  You might find something there.
    • I honestly feel like both doctors think it's all in my head even though there is proof.  Yeah there was a point when I felt crazy.  That was when I was being shuffled from dr to dr being given individual diagnoses of my problems.  None of those diagnoses ever made me get better.  Seriously I was diagnosed with heart palpitations, neurocardiogenic syncope, I was given a butt load of steroids because a dr felt like I was producing too much adrenaline, freaking had a few tell me I was depressed, and the good ol IBS.  It seemed most wanted to push pills.  It's all just ridiculous!
    • I can't believe your doctors!!! You have a daughter who is dx'd already! Yet the ped doesn't want to test your other kids unless you have a dx????!!! Are you kidding me???!!! That's absurd!!! They have a first degree relative who has been dx'd with celiac already. There is no need to wait to see what you turn out to be!! And then, and then, and then....don't even get me started on your doctor!!! Does he have brain damage? Oh this is insane & ridiculous!  I have never heard of a disease that doctors are so unwilling to consider or test for OR to diagnose as this one! Usually they are hot to trot to make a dx but say the word celiac & they shake in their boots. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • I had a negative biopsy and was still diagnosed with Celiac. My GI ran a bunch of tests looking for the cause of my 15+ years of diarrhea and the only thing that came back positive was the entire Celiac panel. All very high. So he performed an endoscopy with biopsy. The biopsy was negative. So he ordered a genetic test. When that came back as "high risk" he decided a trial gluten free diet was in order. After 8 weeks my symptoms resolved and my antibodies were back to normal. Since then, follow up testing had shown I have osteoporosis. I am a 40 year old male.  So yes, you can definitely still have it and have significant damage with a negative biopsy. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jashan8534