This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Indigestion, Mood Swings, Newly Gluten-Free--Is This "normal"?

IrishHeart

IrishHeart Veteran

Hello!

I am a newbie here but I have been reading posts on here for months. You guys know so much more than any medical professional and I have learned so much!

I am only gluten-free for a month. I have been very sick for 3 years,but I had GI problems for over 25 years. I have dozens of crippling symptoms, and I won't bore you with them all here, but my life has been a nightmare for 3 years and I know it will take awhile to feel better. I am realistic about that part. I had one accidental CC at my sister's house, and it made me good and sick for several days, but I am doing all right mostly.

Sweet Hubby even went gluten-free with me! He makes us gluten-free bread and the house is "clean" as can be.

Here are my questions:

I keep having bouts with horrible gastritis, mood swings, cravings, feeling weak. I have some stomach burning and sometimes, my throat. I take digestive enzymes and I avoid dairy and soy. I only drink H2O and plain tea. Plain plain plain...so BORING :>)

What am I doing wrong? Or is it just too early and I am still going to have symptoms for awhile? (My Vitamin levels are fine,no candida )

If you tell me that's all it is, I can relax and be patient :>) It is so frustrating to still feel so sick and I just want relief. I am tired of crying every day out of sheer exhaustion and chronic pain.

I have to say, at least the constant D/constipation roller coaster has stopped. The scary "brain fog" has lifted a bit too...whoohoo! So, I am encouraged!

Do I need to eliminate ALL grains-?-even the gluten-free bread? I know some of you suggest that.

Thank you for "listening". I have been working so hard to get well and it helps so much to have this site to look to for answers to the bewildering things that have made my life hell for 3 years. My cousin has been helpful but her transition to gluten-free was so " easy" and she felt better immediately and she does not know what to tell me beyond...just stay the course. I can do that!! :) :)

Thanks a bunch,

Ginny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

how long have you been gluten free? for the first 3 weeks- i began to feel better- YET, i almost still bloated from everything... in the first month you really cant trust your reactions to food.. a meal that is fine with me now may have still given my indigestion or bloating in that first month.

honestly, i feel better on very little grains AND with small proportions. it could be the most perfect meal for my type- but if i overeat- i could be very sorry. ive gotten to a place where i feel pretty good all the time now- im even getting better with dairy. BUT- if i sit down and eat a box of gluten free rice mac and cheese- i could be in a little pain.

i also CANNOT eat high fructose foods AT ALL (google the FODmap diet and Fructose Malabsorption). i THINK im getting better on some fructans (garlic, onions, etc)- but ive been treading lightly. as far as Dates, Pears, and Apples- i cannot tell you when i will ever try to reintroduce those.

ive been okay on some rice, and rice pasta, and small portions of gluten-free oatmeal. also very small portions of gluten free desserts are ok now. but i cannot do CORN at all.

i also try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup... and gums, mints & sweets that are sweetened with Sorbitol, Mannitol, and all those gross fake things- they totally bloat me up.

coffee & tea- i can do in moderation- if i overdo it- i'll get gurgles & "D".

good luck, it can take some time.. and you'll hit pleasant plateaus.. and then maybe find new intolerances as your body becomes for fine tuned

IrishHeart Veteran

how long have you been gluten free? for the first 3 weeks- i began to feel better- YET, i almost still bloated from everything... in the first month you really cant trust your reactions to food.. a meal that is fine with me now may have still given my indigestion or bloating in that first month.

honestly, i feel better on very little grains AND with small proportions. it could be the most perfect meal for my type- but if i overeat- i could be very sorry. ive gotten to a place where i feel pretty good all the time now- im even getting better with dairy. BUT- if i sit down and eat a box of gluten free rice mac and cheese- i could be in a little pain.

i also CANNOT eat high fructose foods AT ALL (google the FODmap diet and Fructose Malabsorption). i THINK im getting better on some fructans (garlic, onions, etc)- but ive been treading lightly. as far as Dates, Pears, and Apples- i cannot tell you when i will ever try to reintroduce those.

ive been okay on some rice, and rice pasta, and small portions of gluten-free oatmeal. also very small portions of gluten free desserts are ok now. but i cannot do CORN at all.

i also try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup... and gums, mints & sweets that are sweetened with Sorbitol, Mannitol, and all those gross fake things- they totally bloat me up.

coffee & tea- i can do in moderation- if i overdo it- i'll get gurgles & "D".

good luck, it can take some time.. and you'll hit pleasant plateaus.. and then maybe find new intolerances as your body becomes for fine tuned

Thank you for your input! It's only been a month and I have been sick for a long time, so I figure it will be a while. just having the "D" stop has been a very good thing!!

I am wondering about the corn myself. I'll just have to be patient, see what my body "tells me". It's been telling me things aren't right for some time now and I listened :>)

It helps immensely to have you all on here to talk to---for reassurance and encouragement. I have felt pretty lonesome with this disease and having to figure things out myself makes it all the more overwhelming...so thanks a million!!

Ginny

krishna Apprentice

Thank you for your input! It's only been a month and I have been sick for a long time, so I figure it will be a while. just having the "D" stop has been a very good thing!!

I am wondering about the corn myself. I'll just have to be patient, see what my body "tells me". It's been telling me things aren't right for some time now and I listened :>)

It helps immensely to have you all on here to talk to---for reassurance and encouragement. I have felt pretty lonesome with this disease and having to figure things out myself makes it all the more overwhelming...so thanks a million!!

Ginny

I too have had severe mood swings and anxiety. I still have them but I think I've now narrowed it down to yeast. Anything that I eat with high yeast content gives me anxiety, mood swings, constipation, head aches etc etc.. list goes on! I can tolerate a little bit but too much really screws me up for at least a week and I think I'm having it as a secondary intolerance due to my damaged gut. My test results for yeast allergy were negative but I am 99% sure that I have some degree of intolerance. Yeast is present in a lot of stuff, like cheese, chips, breads, biscuits even if these products are gluten free. The gluten free bread that I've been eating is making me sick actually because it seems to have yeast. Try to eliminate it completely and see if it helps your mood.

IrishHeart Veteran

I too have had severe mood swings and anxiety. I still have them but I think I've now narrowed it down to yeast. Anything that I eat with high yeast content gives me anxiety, mood swings, constipation, head aches etc etc.. list goes on! I can tolerate a little bit but too much really screws me up for at least a week and I think I'm having it as a secondary intolerance due to my damaged gut. My test results for yeast allergy were negative but I am 99% sure that I have some degree of intolerance. Yeast is present in a lot of stuff, like cheese, chips, breads, biscuits even if these products are gluten free. The gluten free bread that I've been eating is making me sick actually because it seems to have yeast. Try to eliminate it completely and see if it helps your mood.

I appreciate your response! The only yeast I would be ingesting would be from the bread my husband makes for us....that's a good thought! I'll take it out for a while and see if it helps. I tested neg for yeast, too...but I have learned that testing just is not accurate. I test NEG or "Normal" for everything, except for soybean... yet here I am sick as a dog for 3 years....As my doctor and I agree the heck with the test results...the proof is in the HEALING and "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a duck":>)

thanks a bunch,

Ginny

cassP Contributor

Ginny

i understand! i have leaned on these people a few times too- and it's so nice to go from feeling scared and alone to feeling the support on here!

hope you feel better soon

Happyw5 Explorer

I am new to this as well. I have been gluten free for about 3 weeks. I tested neg to celiac, but I was positive to wheat allergy and I am sure that gluten is a problem, even if the test says so. I know how frustrating this has been for me, so many things have gotten better, but I am not 100% yet! I am not sure what is still bothering me, I started a food journal and I am writing EVERYTHING in there. I am hoping to find more connections... Most recently I decided to stop my allergy shots. I think that it is causing some of my symptoms and making my body hypersensative to alot of things. My doctor was very supportive of my decision. I think it comes to a point where you have to fix yourself!!!Good Luck!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I am new to this as well. I have been gluten free for about 3 weeks. I tested neg to celiac, but I was positive to wheat allergy and I am sure that gluten is a problem, even if the test says so. I know how frustrating this has been for me, so many things have gotten better, but I am not 100% yet! I am not sure what is still bothering me, I started a food journal and I am writing EVERYTHING in there. I am hoping to find more connections... Most recently I decided to stop my allergy shots. I think that it is causing some of my symptoms and making my body hypersensative to alot of things. My doctor was very supportive of my decision. I think it comes to a point where you have to fix yourself!!!Good Luck!!!

I agree!!I am definitely my own best advocate! I have fought long and hard to get to this point and I KNEW it was gluten. My 3 year struggle is over---let the healing begin!:>)

and CASS, thanks for the pep-talk...I am soooo grateful for all the help I have received from the people on this site!

farnickle Newbie

I just joined.. I'm finding so much courage reading through this forum. It's so comforting to know that I'm not crazy, or alone. If nothing else, just reading the little signatures at the bottom of each member's posts. It gives me courage to read about so many individuals with problems so much worse than mine. If y'all can muscle through these problems with determination and courage, so can I. I think I can put a brave face on now and get out of bed. lol. Thanks for the community... and, Irishheart, I would read your book. haha! :P

IrishHeart Veteran

I just joined.. I'm finding so much courage reading through this forum. It's so comforting to know that I'm not crazy, or alone. If nothing else, just reading the little signatures at the bottom of each member's posts. It gives me courage to read about so many individuals with problems so much worse than mine. If y'all can muscle through these problems with determination and courage, so can I. I think I can put a brave face on now and get out of bed. lol. Thanks for the community... and, Irishheart, I would read your book. haha! :P

Honey, I will send you a copy!! LOL

You are NOT crazy and you are NOT alone. This site was my number 1 research spot for many months before I joined this forum. I would "google" my bizarre symptoms--every single one --and a discussion on here would pop up and I started to think...OMG, I am right-I am not crazy and it is what I think it is!! I have learned more from the people on here who live with this and deal with this disease with courage and strength. Talking with so many people who not only had some of the weird and disabling symptoms I had, but who HEALED has made me even more determined to push forward and get well.

When I get discouraged, I tell myself what "ravenwoodglass" assured me (she has so many similar symptoms to mine and has been so patient and encouraging, answering all my questions)..She said "it WILL get better!!"

I will dance again:>) Baby steps, but finally in the right direction.

You can do this, too.

Hang tough, kiddo!

Archived