1 reply to this topic

#1 celiac crusader

celiac crusader

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

I find it interesting that now that I have figured out all of my food allergies (gluten, lactose, nuts, and anything from the onion family which includes garlic), AND I made absolutely certain to omit these items from my diet, that I no longer have stomach distress (which my brain tends to interpret as hunger). Because if this, I now am able to eat normal portions, not snack, and am losing 2 pounds a week. Five years ago when I found out about my gluten allergy and went on a careful and very healthy whole foods type diet, I was only able to lose 3 pounds a month. Now that I have removed onions and garlic (and their powders added all over the place to processed foods and frozen dinners), I can finally be away from my food focus. My stomach always bothered me and I was always looking for something healthy but low-cal and satisfying. With onion and garlic removed, my life has changed! I wanted to post this for the mom whose children display symptoms of Celiac Disease but whose biopsies are negative. My reflux and primarily heartburn and indigestion problems came from my lactose intolerance. That was the first food allergy I discovered at 52. Could finally stop single-handedly supporting the Pepto-Bismal manufacturer! Gluten gave me severe pain at nighttime and the doctor figured that out for me at age 56. Last year, when I started having more abdominal pain, I had a small-bowel follow-through test and it showed nothing sinister. Several months later I started wondering about the onion/garlic connection, which is much more common than I would have realized. That turned out to be a turning point! Anyway, I am one happy camper now, health-wise, but pretty bummed cooking-wise. I have found I can substitute the very mild Nappa cabbage, finally cut, for onions to give a twang to the taste of things AND it cooks down to something that looks like an onion. I used it in my gluten free stuffing over Xmas and everyone thought it tasted great! Horseradish is a good sub for garlic.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 aeraen

aeraen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Yikes! giving up garlic and onions in my house would be even harder than giving up gluten!

Can you tell me what led you to suspect onions and garlic? I would never have suspected those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: